HELP? Undecided on a regulator and octo setup

Which Regulator brand, model, why (cold salt water/ high sediments)

• ScubaPro

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Mares

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Sherwood

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Apeks

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Other brand and why

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowtie22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Help me decide on a good regulator and octo.

I am so tossed in a decision on a regulator/ octo set. I need a regulator that will be used primarily in salt water, temperatures ranging from ice breaking to tropical, most dives will be above 140 feet, potential for sediments and suspended particles in the water.

I need a dependable regulator that will stand up against everything basically. I am very tossed in between different brands and models. Any help and input would be great and very helpful.

To start with I am looking at ScubaPro, Sherwood, and Mares. Any suggestions?

Hmmm, do I see a landslide for Apeks coming? :)

(I'm going through a similar debate in my head, but my wife & I will be diving primarily warm water w/o particulate, so I'm waging the SP vs. Apeks battle.....ice-breaking & particulate would cinch my decision for Apeks based on all I've read here.)

Jim

...ice-breaking & particulate would cinch my decision for Apeks based on all I've read here.

Jim [/B][/QUOTE]

I am in the same quandry although, similar to Jim, I do not have the particulate to contend with. That being said, I would agree with Jim that Apeks is a strong consideration since it is environmentally sealed, although I have yet to dive with them (based on what I've read here on the post). I have spent MANY hours searching postings asking the same advice (and I posted a similar one yesterday) and there is a huge following for Apeks.

It would seem that Scubapro would be out, with the exception of the mk16, based on the cold temps plus particulate - it would seem that a diaphragm is the only real choice for you. So that leaves:

1)Mares Proton Ice
2) Aqualung Legend LX spreme (also has a following here on the board)
3)Apex ATX200 (or perhaps even the ATX50)
4)SP mk16/S550

I think that the true test and deciding factor may be to test-dive each and see what feels best. That is the position I am in, I am still trying to narrow down the choices for myself.

Good luck!

MI2diver once bubbled...

1)Mares Proton Ice
2) Aqualung Legend LX spreme (also has a following here on the board)
3)Apex ATX200 (or perhaps even the ATX50)
4)SP mk16/S550

The original question was between Scubapro, Sherwood and Mares. I can say something about the Sherwood, which is that they are good, dependable regulators that won't let you down no matter how dirty or cold the water gets. They're a little stiff compared to some of the other top brands and a little wet inverted. Also, Sherwood doesn't have much of a presence in Europe so check to see if you can get it serviced in your area by a qualified tek. Where I live, the only Sherwood service centre does *really* poor work and I have trouble getting parts to do it myself.

That said, I think the original poster was based in the UK. That would make Apeks an obvious choice, but I personally have an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and can recommend it above the Apeks. It's virtually identical to the Apeks mechanically but breathes much drier.

R..

Well you all have been helping me narrow it down pretty good and now I am looking at a few other brands than I was originally. I want a reg that breathes easy and dry.

Now I am looking at the Apeks a little closer than I was and also the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme.

Does the lip shield that is on this regulator feel natural or does it take a while to get used to?

To me it looks a little uncomfortable and un-natural I may be wrong.

Does the lip shield that is on this regulator feel natural or does it take a while to get used to?

Bowtie22 once bubbled...

It actually feels OK. Note that the lip shield can easily be removed from the mouthpiece; it just slips off. You can also buy it and add it to an Aqualung 2nd stage that does not have it.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

The main caution I would offer is to first talk to the equipment repair person on site.

1) If there is no equipment person currently on site, you have a problem. Go somewhere else.

2) If the equipment person is only on site part time, you have a problem. Go somewhere else.

3) If there is an equipment person on site, talk to him. See what he recommends.

Generally, you cannot go wrong with ScubaPro, theyre just expensive. But the free parts for life warranty makes the price worth while.

Apex also have a good reputation. Query whether someone at the store has gone to the factory training program at DEMA in order to be able to properly service them.

If you purchase either an Apeks or an Aqualung Legend LX, I can't imagine you'd be anything but happy with your choice.

I dive an Apeks ATX200, my wife dives an Apeks ATX50(DST) and my son dives an Aqualung Legend LX. I think they all breathe great and even though a number of people have commented about how the Legend's 2nd stage breathes smoother and drier than the Apeks, I personally think they all breathe comparably. My Apeks never seems to give me any trouble with wet breathing.

Good luck on your choice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom