Help w/ car rental in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I had everything done for my trip next week, but yesterday I realized I had looked at car prices but forgot to actually book. I'm looking for an SUV (not monster size, just a Trail Blazer or Cherokee type) Several of the big car rental places are sold out. Ones that are available are quite a bit more then when I researched this a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a smaller car rental agency at the airport or in Kona that I may have better luck with? Or, a non-airport location of any rental agency that tends to have better availability?

Thanks! I can't believe it's only 8 days away.

I got a good price booking thru Orbitz (Thrifty car rental). What you can also do is look what orbitz offers and then call the company direct, se if they can make you a better deal.

We used Alamo when there cost was about $80 a day for everything. - minivan.

Thanks guys. I booked a Cherokee with Thrifty yesterday - came to $389 for a week w/ taxes and fees incl. I did all the searches on Expedia, Orbits, Travelocity, and a couple sites that handle only car rentals too. The Thrifty price was the best so far but it's about $85 more then it was when I was shopping a few wks ago. My fault for not booking it then.

scubawife:
Thanks guys. I booked a Cherokee with Thrifty yesterday - came to $389 for a week w/ taxes and fees incl. I did all the searches on Expedia, Orbits, Travelocity, and a couple sites that handle only car rentals too. The Thrifty price was the best so far but it's about $85 more then it was when I was shopping a few wks ago. My fault for not booking it then.

If you're planning 4-wheeling, you might want to confirm that the differential locks haven't been disabled by the rental company. I'm fairly sure that Budget keeps the locks on but some of the others might disable 'em to discourage off-roading. I prefer 4-Runners; the Fords and GMs tend to bottom-out too much going thru the lava fields.

Enjoy your trip. PM me if you need anything as far as dive site referals, things to do, ect.....I miss the Big Isle :-(

Back
Top Bottom