Help with a reflection problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdmbike to scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a dive trip to the BVI's. While there I got to use my new u/w housing for the first time. After going over the footage I notices that I can see a reflection of my cam lens or outer case on the footage. I am new to this but I cant think of what i did wrong. Any help would be great. I have a ocean images ps100 series with a clear back for viewing. They put a wide lens on it to. If this helps at all. Thanks Mark :confused:

Need to zoom the lens a little...
Have the same thing... picking up the inside as the Wide Angle setting picks up the inside a little.. Just zoom out a tad bit... should fix it...

I have a Sony 110? or some thing like that with the Ocean Images yellow w/Wide Angle lens...
Hope that helps..

I thought that sun light was coming in though the back and reflecting off of the lens on the housing. When I filmed things below be, but when I took a second look at the film. It happened when I filmed thing right in front of me. Could it be that the cam is to far away from the lens on the housing? Or Im just screwing things up! Just dont know. Mark

Do you have any sort of filter on the camera lens? Remove it.

It is possible that it is too far back which would allow ambient light collected by the edges of the lens to bounce off it and be reflected back into the lens. Try to block anything reflective around the lens, including anything shiny that's visible looking through the w/a lens from the outside.

Is it a clear(in focus) reflection? What camera do you have? Is it one of the Sony's with the flash built in to the lip of the lens like the HC3 (imo a similar problem to yours waiting to happen)

I suppose it's possible that something is just misaligned, either the front face of camcorder lens or one of the w/a lens elements. I don't know how to tell that though.

You might try removing the w/a lens and seeing if you get the same result with the standard port.

And is it all the time or just at very wide angle settings? Can you make it do it now in a bright pool or similar setting?

I once had a similar reflection with my old housing, but it only happened once. The only thing I can think of that caused it was that I didn't have the front of the camera perpindicular to the lens. The next time I loaded the camera, it was gone.

You may have a similar alignment problem. Didn't O/I set it up for you? Might want to call them and send it back...

Grab a still and e-mail it to me so I can see the problem,

Hey, Steve I have the sony hc 32. I dont have any filter that I know of on the cam. The housing has a red filter and a wide angle lens on it. I think that the cam is to far from the housing lens. But thats my uneducated view. The reflection is not all the time just part of the time. Yes O/I did set up the cam to the housing. I'll try to get a still for you all to see. How far should the cam be from the housing? Thanks Mark

I had a similar problem and solved it by 'carefully' blacking out the silver colored rim on the front of the lens. I used a flat black paint pen and a sharpie.

No reflections now.

You know I thought about that did know if it would work but good call.......Mark

fpoole:
Need to zoom the lens a little...
Have the same thing... picking up the inside as the Wide Angle setting picks up the inside a little.. Just zoom out a tad bit... should fix it...

I have a Sony 110? or some thing like that with the Ocean Images yellow w/Wide Angle lens...
Hope that helps..

Yes, that is what happened to me...
Put the cam in the housing, on surface at home and look through it or video something.. look for the side frames..

Then zoom in the lens a tad until the frame disappears.. it's isn't much.. it's just that the Wide Angle of the camera is pick up more than the housings port..

Assuming, of course you're putting the camera on the right tray etc... if I remember it's fool proof or I would have done it... :D

Hope that helps..

I hope its fool proof If not I'll screw it up for sure. I'm going to call O/I today and ask them what they think. After emailing sjspeck he found on the video that the top of the cam has on it 800x and that is also showing up on the video to. That got to be the cam being to far back. But I have been wrong before. Thanks guys I'll let you know the out come. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom