Help with boat etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet:
The boats on a trailer, and I launch it at the breakwater.
There's no launch fee, though you do have to pay to park
($12 all day for truck+trailer, truck alone would be $8),
so launch plus park for the boat is $4. Yawn.

I'm glad to have the help launching and retreiving. I can
do it by myself pretty efficiently, but it's easier with an
assitant.

Yea, we usually launch my Buddy's Zodiac from Breakwater and I pay for the tanks (at Aquarius) and the parking. Just feels right.

Gr8 thread!! I have been a boat owner (and passenger) for my entire life. My parents and I owned a 38' Ketch and sailed to the Bahamas every summer. You think a motor boat is work, try diving on a sailboat!! Before you even get to the dive site you work your butt off, I have had many friends too tired to dive once we got there. But I can tell you this.... its a trip they don't forget (once they have rested for a bit). Peaceful bliss my dad used to say. As for being a passenger I guess my parents taught me well as I ALWAYS:
*Ask what can I do to help set up the trip.
*Come over the day before and help pack the boat (This also helps to become more
familiar with the boat and where everything goes).
*Get to the dock early WITH doughnuts (Assorted).
*Bring too much beer AND soda.
*Keep the deck free of clutter, asking where it should be stored if I'm not sure.
*Filet all of the fish unless the Capt gets to em 1st and insists.
*Try to pay for the gas in both vehicle and boat. I try to insist and sometimes it works, most often we settle on something less.
*Follow my Capt home and help with the cleaning.
*Sit on the boat after all is done and drink some of the excess beer with the Capt of the boat and my buds (if any show up).

By following these simple standards I find myself with overflowing offers to go on return dives/fishing trips. I am not a rich man but I know what it takes AND costs to go on a simple trip and always try to pay my share OR make sure the Capt does as little work as possible. Remember these people invited you for a reason, they like you and think your a good person, try to make them right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom