Help with boat etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a friend who has a small boat. We are going to a local lake to dive. He says he doesn't want any $ from me, but I think I should help with gas. I suspect we won't use much gas since the lake is in our town and we're diving, not skiing or tooling around the lake. What's your opinion?

If it were me, and he said he didn't want any $, I'd offer to take him out to lunch or maybe buy him the beverage of his choice to say thanks for taking out the boat.

nkw5:
I have a friend who has a small boat. We are going to a local lake to dive. He says he doesn't want any $ from me, but I think I should help with gas. I suspect we won't use much gas since the lake is in our town and we're diving, not skiing or tooling around the lake. What's your opinion?

Take him to a nice place for lunch, tell the waitress (privately) to make sure you get the check. I always appreciate it when one of our guests buys lunch. That way you don't have to worry about any issues with "paying for services"! By the way, you are an outstanding guest. Your generosity is appreciated whether your host takes it or not. :D

An Ice box full of goodies could be a fair contribution if the resturaunt idea is not possible.

Always offer. Remember that expenses include gas, oil in a
stroke, launch fees, towing costs.

Also consider the relative cost. In Monterey, a two-tank
commercial ride costs $75-90.

I've got a boat, and I appreciate it when my guests offer. I'll
generally turn them down if we stayed in Monterey Bay, accept
if we go down to Carmel. I never accept on Underwater Photographic
Society boat dive days. One good way to handle it is to get the
fills after diving. Best line I've been got fed was "I found this soggy $20
on the dive. It should go for gas." ;-)

BTW, the CG requires a captains license when it's "for hire", but the
law says that "sharing the expenses of the day" is NOT for hire.
It didn't used to be that way: "you bring the boat, I'll bring the
beer and bait" was illegal.

Chuck, Do you have slip or do have to launch the boat? If you have to launch it I'd say you deserve more than a "soggy $20". :)

At least a Gianni's Pizza and a soggy $20.
:)

The boats on a trailer, and I launch it at the breakwater.
There's no launch fee, though you do have to pay to park
($12 all day for truck+trailer, truck alone would be $8),
so launch plus park for the boat is $4. Yawn.

I'm glad to have the help launching and retreiving. I can
do it by myself pretty efficiently, but it's easier with an
assitant.

FredT:
That was a good read Fred.

I'm one of those people that had no idea of what the costs of boat ownership were. I'm not surprised and would never balk at splitting costs with the invited guests, I just didn't know.

Thanks.

Christian

as they say "boats don't run on thanks".

It is always nice to do something for the host. I bought a AL80 tank for the guy that took us out a bunch of times.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom