Help with camera settings please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubalnks

Reaction score
My digital camera has the following white balancing settings:

- Tungsten (No idea when to use this)
- Flourescent (No idea when to use this)
- Sun (I assume when it is bright out?)
- Shade (I assume when it is shady out?)

The manual shows you how to change to each setting on the camera but does not go in to detail on what each one actually means or when to use them. Does anyone have any idea? The camera is a Samsung Digimax 130.

On more quick question on adjusting the EV. Is a higher setting better for lower light conditions or is a lower setting better?

Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by Scubalnks
My digital camera has the following white balancing settings:

- Tungsten (No idea when to use this)
- Flourescent (No idea when to use this)
- Sun (I assume when it is bright out?)
- Shade (I assume when it is shady out?)

The manual shows you how to change to each setting on the camera but does not go in to detail on what each one actually means or when to use them. Does anyone have any idea? The camera is a Samsung Digimax 130.

On more quick question on adjusting the EV. Is a higher setting better for lower light conditions or is a lower setting better?

Any help is appreciated.

Does you camera have an auto setting for the white balance? I'd sure hate to have to change the balance settings everytime I changed lighting!

Tungsten - With regular indoor lighting
Flourescent - With Flourescent indoor lighting
Sun - While in natural sunlight
Shade - While in natural shade

On my camera (Olympus C-4040) the +EV settings are for more light and -EV is for lower light. Very basic explanation!

Go here for excellent digital info.

Thanks much for the information Dee it's very helpful. My camera does have an automatic setting but it does not seem to be able to do a very good job of setting it properly. When I take a picture indoors they come out way to grainy when it's on auto so I wanted to try adjusting it manually to see if I can get them to come out better. Your descriptions above should help me figure out if the automatic setting just does not work that great or if the camera as a whole just does not work well in lower light situations. I would like to think that adjusting them both would at least allow me to get some better quality pictures from this camera when in lower light.

When I take a picture indoors they come out way to grainy when it's on auto so I wanted to try adjusting it manually to see if I can get them to come out better.

You might want to try adjusting your film speed to ISO100 or even lower. One of the reason why noise and grain shows up on a digital pixs is if you us a fast film speed. A slower film speed like ISO 100 or ISO 80 will give you better color tone, colour saturation and contrast.

Hope this hepls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom