Help with choice of new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My gear is 10 years old, so looking at new stuff. Divers I see on boats are switching to back wings or the Hogarth tech style. I'm not a tech diver or a cave diver. I'm a warm water Caribbean and Asia diver. I'm looking at the Hog bcd which is like the Hogarth rigs I see. Can you please tell me pros and cons of this rig and perhaps make your recommendations for any rig. My biggest consideration besides safety is weight when I fly overseas.

I would also look at the Dive Rite TravelPac. It weighs less than 6 lb's, it doesn't have a whole lot of extra crap you don't need. For the most part the hardware is stainless steel, it has 2 cam bands and a crotch strap included and you can get weight pockets for it. TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite

The Hog and the TravelPac look pretty similar to me. I was going to suggest the Zeagle Express Tech, but it has a horseshoe wing and the Hog and Dive Rite use a donut wing. I like diving donut wings better. I also like how the Hog uses a standard wing instead of being custom like the Dive Rite and Zeagle. I think the Hog would be a good choice for you.

I bought my first BCD this summer and I decided on a BP/W from Vintage Double Hose. It looks like Bryan is having a hard time keeping things in stock this summer, and for good reason. As for why I chose it, based on pros and cons:

Pros:
Inexpensive - you can get more expensive if you do something like Halcyon, but my package from VDH was $300
Modular - I can add on or take off whatever I want (within reason - I should probably leave the harness, wing, plate and cam bands at a minimum)
Portable - I got an aluminum back plate and the plate, wing (23#), harness, QR cam bands, D-rings and buckles, weigh just over 6 lbs all together
Comfort - I never liked jackets because they would always ride up on me (I can't fill a cummerbund) and I don't like the jacket squeeze - the crotch strap and harness are more comfortable than you think, even if you think it looks really comfortable
Look cool - Just kidding, but you will get questions about it on a boat, especially with new divers

Cons:
Lack of integrated weight - I am a weirdo and prefer a weight belt, but this is a con for most people
Lack of pockets - I do wish I had a pocket some times, but I don't have enough room to add one to the belt
Look too cool? - People might think you're a better diver than you and put a lot of peer pressure on you to be awesome because you look so cool (Kidding, again)

A BCD is a pretty personal piece of equipment - I still rent a regulator but own a BCD because I want consistency there. What you like is based on what fits you and what feels comfortable, but I can say without hesitation that I absolutely love my BP/W.

I dive in both warm water (Cozumel) and cold water (midwest lakes) in this BP/W. 23# works for me anywhere because I only carry 11 lbs in 7 mm wet suit in fresh water, but it might be too small if you carry a lot of weight. Make sure you consider your wing size needs.

I bought my first BCD this summer and I decided on a BP/W from Vintage Double Hose. It looks like Bryan is having a hard time keeping things in stock this summer, and for good reason. As for why I chose it, based on pros and cons:

Pros:
Inexpensive - you can get more expensive if you do something like Halcyon, but my package from VDH was $300
Modular - I can add on or take off whatever I want (within reason - I should probably leave the harness, wing, plate and cam bands at a minimum)
Portable - I got an aluminum back plate and the plate, wing (23#), harness, QR cam bands, D-rings and buckles, weigh just over 6 lbs all together
Comfort - I never liked jackets because they would always ride up on me (I can't fill a cummerbund) and I don't like the jacket squeeze - the crotch strap and harness are more comfortable than you think, even if you think it looks really comfortable
Look cool - Just kidding, but you will get questions about it on a boat, especially with new divers

Cons:
Lack of integrated weight - I am a weirdo and prefer a weight belt, but this is a con for most people
Lack of pockets - I do wish I had a pocket some times, but I don't have enough room to add one to the belt
Look too cool? - People might think you're a better diver than you and put a lot of peer pressure on you to be awesome because you look so cool (Kidding, again)

A BCD is a pretty personal piece of equipment - I still rent a regulator but own a BCD because I want consistency there. What you like is based on what fits you and what feels comfortable, but I can say without hesitation that I absolutely love my BP/W.

I dive in both warm water (Cozumel) and cold water (midwest lakes) in this BP/W. 23# works for me anywhere because I only carry 11 lbs in 7 mm wet suit in fresh water, but it might be too small if you carry a lot of weight. Make sure you consider your wing size needs.

Mucho Thanks, great answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom