Help with choosing my 1st mask :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moemen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey'all
So I just got my AOW certificate and it I was thinking of getting my own set of equipment.

Not too many scuba shops in Egypt, and especially in Cairo where I reside, and i got somethings being shipped from Amazon, so I thought hey, I should add some more things.

Basically, I'm between 3 masks since they're all within my price range. But the fact that they mostly look the same, got me confused. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

The Cressi F1 Frameless Mask
Promate Raven Frameless
Aqualung Frameless Scuba Mask

Cheers!

That is like buying shoes online, you need to try them on. Find a dive shop. Hold the masks they have up to your face and breath in through your nose slightly. If the mask stays on your face while you are holding you breath, it fits, if it is stuck to your face buy it. If it falls off, do not even think about it. Don't look at the brand or the price, fit is the most important element. Everyone's face is different and the only way to tell is to try the mask on.

You really need to try the masks on. You can read reviews online, see what manufacturers say about face shape, but at the end of the day every mask is "personal".

When looking at a mask, I would try to get one that is low volume and relatively easy to fold and store in a pocket--like the frameless masks you have linked.

At the end of the day fit is all that matters. I dive a $40 Brute mask as my primary and I have a $110 Hollis F1. I can never get the F1 to fit my face correctly and it always has a minor leak. Just because a mask is triple the price doesn't mean it is worth triple the price to you, make sure wherever you buy from has a good return policy.

First off,, I know this kind of question was asked a lot before, and I thank you for having the patience to talk me through it. I browsed a lot on the board here and I simply asked because I thought that maybe someone experienced weaknesses from one of the brands i mentioned not related to the fit (ie. strap breaking, low quality materials, etc..) anyway I'll try and find them in a local scuba shop before i order them! Thanks everyone

Judging strictly by the desire to buy one of the three online I'd go with the Cressi. Promate is a lower quality brand than either of the others.
The finish on the Aqualung when you zoom in on what looks to be a mfr. supplied photo is surprisingly rough and uneven.

Also notice the lower right corner - it's an Aqualung Sport - that's their lower-end snorkeling division. Although they don't show it as a current option either:
Aqua Lung Sport

So it might be an older design - or if it's been sitting in a warehouse a couple of years already hardened slightly.

Cressi does and there's even a video. Cressi Scuba Masks scuba mask single lens frameless comfortable clear black white silicone diving snorkeling

my .02

I have a Hollis m3 worth like $100 and a frameless hog mask I picked up for $17. I'm hard pressed to find a difference in quality and the hog honestly feels more comfortable to me. bottom line is try on a bunch of masks, ignoring preconceived opinions about brands and price , and buy the one that feels the best.

Don't worry about brand or model. It is all about the fit. For the first mask, don't buy online unless you know it fits well. I suggest to go LDS, try on all the mask and buy one that fit the best.

I agree with the other contributors to this thread. Fit is the key criterion when choosing a mask and that can only be established if you actually try the mask on for size.

You've mentioned three models that are under your consideration and I've noticed that only one of them, the Promate Raven Frameless, refers to sizing:

Frameless Design Lowers Internal Volume - Face Seal Size W4 3/4 * H3 1/2

This means that the skirt where it seals against your face is four and three-quarters inches wide and three and a half inches high. All fins nowadays come with a shoe size, so I'm left wondering why all mask manufacturers don't help online purchasers by providing at least the skirt width as a guide. It won't guarantee a perfect fit, but it may make choosing a mask a little easier.

You really need to try the masks on. You can read reviews online, see what manufacturers say about face shape, but at the end of the day every mask is "personal".

When looking at a mask, I would try to get one that is low volume and relatively easy to fold and store in a pocket--like the frameless masks you have linked.

At the end of the day fit is all that matters. I dive a $40 Brute mask as my primary and I have a $110 Hollis F1. I can never get the F1 to fit my face correctly and it always has a minor leak. Just because a mask is triple the price doesn't mean it is worth triple the price to you, make sure wherever you buy from has a good return policy.

F1?

As others have said you need to try on masks, fit is everything regardless of price. When you try on a mask I find it helpful to have either a snorkel or reg mouth piece in your mouth as this will alter face shape and can affect fitting. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom