Help with Configuring Secondary Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenmonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, folks...

Went to a new LDS today that is just opening. Very cool folks, and they carry lots of DiveRite stuff, which is pretty highly regarded by many. Looks like I'd get a very good deal on a Hurricane, but my question is about the secondary reg.

I want to configure my primary with a long hose like the DIR folks do. I'm not yet ready to take DIR fundamentals, but I've read some about their equipment, and I think the primary with a long hose makes A LOT of sense for air sharing, especially since my 12 year old will be a dive buddy with me next year. I will want to maybe take that class sometime, and won't want to re-buy gear if I can help it.

My question comes to this...why don't DIR folks use the secondary reg attached to their inflator hose? I know they need to be able to quickly get to a reg if they share their primary, but it seems that it would be really easy to find your secondary if it's integrated with your inflator hose and is right there. Plus, it's one fewer hose to deal with.

Also, what are the standard hose lengths if you are configuring an octo according to DIR standards?

I can't speak to the DIR practices...but looking at it from a tech view, the long hose length is 7'. Again...don't know enough about DIR to answer your questions on specific hose lengths, however tech would be the long hose primary, and the secondary is a second regulator set, both first and second stage, on the second valve on doubles, or a second post on an H valve setup. Second is on a shorter hose (27"?) and is routed over the right shoulder and is on a necklace on your chest beneath your chin. DIR may (I honestly don't know) have the additional 2nd stage to be run off of the primary's first stage...would need a DIR practioner to tell you that.

I would opt away from the inline simply because if you have ever had to use one, it is a bit awkward having it in your mouth with the inflator hose now also hanging there with it. I tried an inline long ago on a recreational setup, and while yes, it is one less hose, it hinders using the inflator hose to control bouyancy irregardless of whether you have a hose with a pull mechanism to release air or if you have to hold the thing up to release air...either you are pulling against what is in your mouth or you have to take the backup regulator out of your mouth...and all this while potentially having to work with a diver who is OOA and more than likely in a mind set that isn't entirely calm.

Just a PS here...Think about the Dive Rite Jetstream in lieu of the Hurricane. Nothing against the Hurricane as it is a fine regulator. The Jetstream is actually made by Poseidon and they are (at least in my experience with 30+ years of using them) bombproof. Yes, they are not sold everywhere, and yes they can be a bit more expensive to service, but I have yet to find a regulator that would cause me to dive anything else. Poseidon's (Xtreme primary and Odin as a backup) are what I use on my tech dive gear. Since your LDS is a diverite dealer...they would be able to service them without a problem I am sure. This last paragraph is strickly personal opinon.

My question comes to this...why don't DIR folks use the secondary reg attached to their inflator hose

We don't use it for a number of reasons: We prefer to separate buoyancy control from breathing, we prefer better performing regulators, and we standardize equipment on a different configuration.

As a personal note, I neither liked breathing off my Air2 nor did I like controlling ascents while using it as a regulator.

The hose lengths for DIR divers are variable, depending on configuration and diver. In a single tank, the backup reg is usually best on a hose slightly shorter than the standard 24" primary regulator hose, to minimize the loop. In doubles, the backup reg hose may need to be a little longer (like 24 or 26") depending on the reg you are using and how the hoses route.

Although I believe it's still considered acceptable to use a 5' hose for open water diving, in practice you will almost never see a DIR diver not using a 7' hose for their primary. A 5' is often easier for someone in a standard BC to manage, but that's not a DIR configuration, anyway.

The long hose can be either 5 ft or 7. I prefer the 5ft one. I don't do caves or wreck penetrations so there is no need for the extra 2 ft and it is the correct length for me without the need to tuck any of it in under a weightbelt or similar place.
As for the inflator hose regs, they are OK but I really don't what the have to remove my reg, while accending and sharing air. During an OOA situation I have enought to do without have it worry about removing my reg to vent my BC. I prefer seperate items for each job.

I see you're in Baltimore. Do you mind providing more detail on the LDS you visited? I've been looking for a good one since I moved here, and the two near me are pretty mediocre.

They are very new...It's called Off the Wall Scuba. They actually have a dedicated Tech room, which is kind of cool. Overall, they sell mostly DiveRite at this point. I know what you're saying about area LDSs.

Apart from the DIR stuff, there are a couple of reasons why you might avoid the octo/inflator, although anyone using one of those would be wise to use a longer primary hose, which you're doing.

The topic of "octo/inflator: friend or foe?" has been argued billions and billions of times (to paraphrase Carl) but two of my favorites are 1) it doesn't add any comfort when diving, because the loss of a hose is not as noticable as the big hunk of plastic that now resides at the end of your inflator hose, and 2) you must use a longer inflator hose than otherwise might be possible. Ever vented a BC or wing with a 12" inflator? It's fun and easy...with an octo/inflator I think you're typically looking at 22". Plus, the standard octo quietly sits clipped away until the rare occasion when you need it. The octo/inflator, however, must be picked up, moved around, and handled every time you vent; several times on each dive. Which is more streamlined?

The 7' hose for the DIR zombies (sorry Lynne, nothing personal!) is to allow single file travel in tight quarters while air sharing. 5' (or something around that depending on your size) is probably more practical for OW.

Okay, okay, DIR compliance is NOT exactly the same thing as being a zombie:D

Sorry to jump in, I have a TransPak DiveRite BC and used to have RG2200 AirRight (Air2 from DiveRite) as octopus. While looks cool is a pain to deflate your BC by pulling the hose and is virtually impossible to deflate it in any way when you have to switch to it cause of an OOA situation. Also, if something happen with your regulator/BC, your dive trip is gone, can not borrow any regulator/BC nor do anything... Just my 2 cents... I'm just a leisure diver :wink:

Sorry to jump in, I have a TransPak DiveRite BC and used to have RG2200 AirRight (Air2 from DiveRite) as octopus. While looks cool is a pain to deflate your BC by pulling the hose and is virtually impossible to deflate it in any way when you have to switch to it cause of an OOA situation.

I bought the ScubaPro Air 2 for both my wife and I and, on a recent trip to Red Sea (first with our new kit), we did some OOA drills to get the feel for it. Inflation and deflation under normal circumstances is painless with the ScubaPro Air2. Regarding the OOA situation, initially my thoughts were the same as yours, however after a few attempts, we realized that it was easier to keep the Air2 reg in the mouth and use the BC's shoulder dump valve toggle string thing (not a good technical name I know) to release the BC pressure as we ascended.

however;

..... Also, if something happen with your regulator/BC, your dive trip is gone, can not borrow any regulator/BC nor do anything... Just my 2 cents... I'm just a leisure diver :wink:

Never thought of this and you are correct. The LP Hose connector is bigger on the Air2 as it feeds both the Reg and the Inflator Hose thus rendering it unique (compared to the average rental stuff) to your own BCD. It could be problematic to sort this out if one were not close to a Dive Shop.

On a side-note; I have been giving serious thought to the necklaced Secondary 2nd Stage, it is a concept I like.

Best Regards

Richard (Riger)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom