Help with Dive Vacation Plans, Plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

killface

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

I've spoken at-length to diver friends and LDC's and think it might be better to put it out to a wider audience.

I'm young (at heart, anyways) and get July and August off as a teacher.

I'm having some difficulty narrowing my sights on my first BIG dive vacation. I'd like to go somewhere tropical for 1-2 months and really immerse myself in the local diving. The longer the better if the price is right. I think I want to be in a course (or courses) as I'd like to have some goals. I'd probably rather stay in the same accommodations for the duration of the stay rather than do much travelling.

I spent a few days diving on Roatan and a few days turned into a few weeks on Koh Tao this summer. I really enjoyed them both for different reasons and can't wait to return. But it's a big world...

During my time at Ban's Diving Resort on Koh Tao I mostly hung out with DMT's. I don't know how many they have at any time, but I knew at-least 20, so needless to say it's a big program. I was taking courses and living day-to-day, and realized by the end of my time there I should have just signed up for the Dive Master course. I really liked the availability of O/W courses, and the students typically in the courses. This is totally my opinion, but the island still attracts a mainly younger (under 25) traveler-crowd to its main strip - or at least at Ban's.

Diving aside, I liked Koh Tao much more than Roatan only because of its night scene. Cheap accommodations and great food trumped my brief experience on Roatan where I felt late-night in West End might not be the right place for a guy like me travelling solo. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Cozumel sounds great, I've only spent a couple days on the island and never dived, but I'm wondering what the size of the Dive Master classes tend to be (the more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned) and what the makeups of the Open Water courses you tend to help out with? Solo travellers or people who travel with friends, families, couples etc. At Ban's you seemed to spend a lot of time with O/W classes, but I'd probably rather spend more time in the water assisting with fun dives (not even sure what the lingo is).

I guess it should be said that I don't see myself using my credentials to get employment. This is mostly for fun, coupled with personal achievement and as an economical way to get a TON of dives in. Ban's gives you unlimited dives while in the course (I know this isn't a rarity), I can extend the course as much as I want, so 2-months which is my preference won't be a problem, and I understand that you can dive there for free in the future as long as you work as a dive master. The ability to volunteer in order to dive for free is something I'd really like to have in a dive shop I either take my Dive Master training or a place I dive with in the future. I'm not sure if this is a rarity.

I'd sign up for Ban's tomorrow, if it weren't a bit inconvenient to visit, and because I'd like to hear from you all before I make such a big commitment.

It should also be said, I really haven't thought much about any other way to dive relatively cheaply for 1-2 months. I'd rather be working towards a goal and although tec does interest me, I think I need more dives and to master some skills before I go that route, if I ever do. Plus I just bought my own equipment and don't want to think about buying anything else until my credit card recovers.

It would be great to be with a crowd that's around for a couple months.

I'm sorry if this was long or incoherent.

But any thoughts, musings or angry flame-filled responses would be welcome.

Sounds like you should go to Utila. Many do for those reasons.

I agree with DandyDon. Most people who have your want list and are looking in the Caribbean - choose Utila.

As always, you folks are a tremendous group to bounce questions off. I was clearly looking in other directions. Thank you so much.

Does anyone who has spent time in both places know how cost of living on Utila compares to Koh Tao?

I'm not exactly a budget-traveler, but I certainly am not made of money. I don't need much, but screens on my windows and occasionally AC would be nice. Something to keep beer cold and a hammock even better. Convenient access to bars and/or dive shops ideal. If I found the right people, I'd love to do shared accommodation (with separate rooms). I'm a totally uninspired cook, especially when travelling, so I see myself out for a lot (read: almost all) meals.

I think it's safe to say I'm hoping to party (only to the extent that it wouldn't affect a dive :) - what can I say, I recently changed my marital status and am making up for lost time). Truly this isn't purely for diver development, I'm looking to have a lot of fun while doing it. I loved Koh Tao's nightlife and know it wouldn't be the same on Utila. Really, I'm just looking for new diver friends (fellow DMT's in particular) to mix-and-mingle with. What I fear I'd miss out on if I pull the trigger on Utila is the GIANT pool of DMT's that a diver factory like Ban's attracts.

I MAY also miss the neverending queue of travelling college-aged O/W divers that rotate on-and-off the island every couple-days :wink:

Thanks again for all your help.

I met this guy on a Roatan trip. He went back to Utila for training, lived there for months, then left to work in Fiji. He's on his way to Thailand next, but currently in Chicago for visit. www.facebook.com/saltyendeavors

I'll ask him to come visit this thread.

I met this guy on a Roatan trip. He went back to Utila for training, lived there for months, then left to work in Fiji. He's on his way to Thailand next, but currently in Chicago for visit. www.facebook.com/saltyendeavors

I'll ask him to come visit this thread.

So that would be me. For the record I was in Utila 2 years and may very well return.

Utila cost of living is very cheap. I've never been to Koh Tao, but from the travelers I've talked with the costs are similar. Food is probably better and cheaper in Thailand, but even still food is good, varied, and cheap on Utila.

I lived oceanfront for 2 years. 7 windows in my apartment and with a decent arch I could hit the ocean when urinating out any of those windows. Cable tv, flat screen, queen bed, hot water, AC, etc was $400/month. Electricity was pricey, but I never ran my AC thanks to ocean breezes and kept my electric costs about $30/month. I had friends that shared apartments up in the hills and paid anywhere from $100-150/month in rent. Of course they lacked the view and breeze so they probably ran their AC more and paid for it in electricity costs.

Utila is a party, plain and simple. Same type of crowd - 22-28 y.o. travelers also looking to party. The hardest part of living on Utila is having self-control.

Many dive centers on the island. If large numbers of people is your preference you have two options - Utila Dive Center and Underwater Vision. Both are very busy shops, with UW having perhaps more of the party scene. Even if you don't dive with these places you'll still party with them. It's a small island.

Check this out - If You Come To Utila - YouTube

That was way too cool....

But from the same film maker... a warning!

Outstanding. Never since 'Californa Love' has a music video made me want to visit a place this badly.

This thread and your responses have pretty much sold me. I really didn't have Utila in my sights, so thank you all very much.

Now I have thousands of questions, but I should probably do some research before I just start dumping them on this board.

I lived oceanfront for 2 years. 7 windows in my apartment and with a decent arch I could hit the ocean when urinating out any of those windows. Cable tv, flat screen, queen bed, hot water, AC, etc was $400/month. Electricity was pricey, but I never ran my AC thanks to ocean breezes and kept my electric costs about $30/month.

Any tips on securing a place like that for July and August? The ability to pee from my window into the ocean would be ideal, and a balcony would be even ideal'er. Those prices for rent are totally doable for me if I'm in town or close to it.

I've been to both Koh Tao and Utila multiple times each and the cost of living is roughly the same on each island. The the underwater environment is way better on Utila however the party scene is rather limited when you compare it to Koh Tao's.

This si not to say you won't get wasted and laid on Utila it's just that the party scene on Koh Tao is at least ten times that of Utila's. If you do return to Thailand, don't forget that two month visa that you need to get before you leave home as Thai immigration policies make a two month stay rather challenging.

Damn...now that song is stuck in my head again. The last time it stuck around for a week. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom