Help with equalizing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continuously - If you feel the pressure, don't wait until it becomes painful or unbearable. You may have to equalise throughout the dive.

For many people by the time they FEEL the pressure it's too late to equalize effectively.

As others have said "early and often"

Start AT the surface and equalize every two or three feet for the first 20-30 feet. And often after that as well.

Thanks everyone but my dm said today I can't go to the ow dive because of my equilizatiion issues it seems thAt it works above water easily but under water my right ear completly
stops equilizing

Remember to start equalizing every few feet, especially during the first meters!

One thing, you say, your ear doesn't pop that does NOT mean that your ear isn't equalized!!
Often, I have this problem with my students.

They tell me, after going to the surface "I can't equalize because I don't hear the pop in one of mey ears" then we go down and show me they don't hear the pop or the same noise but also let me know they feel No discomfort or have any equalizing problems!!!

So...they are equalizing...but waiting for a sound to come which might never come...;-)

I went to my doc and he said take claritin and nasonex

Just take care if you decide to go with drugs help you don't fall into a reverse block situation:
A reverse block is the opposite not equalizing properly. On ascent, the air in the middl eeara nd sinuses expands as pressure decreases towards the surface. If the air cannot get out , a reverse block will result. The middle ear will expand, pressure will increase across the ear drum and perforate it. Reverse blocks most commonly occurs in divers who have used decongestant drugs to help equalize in the first place. The drugs wear off and the Eustachian tube congests and stops air exiting the middle ear :no: . If you do use these medications, make sure the dose is sufficient to last the day or at least the dive.

Hope you solve the issue soon... dive safe

I only passed my OW because of 12-hour Afrin. (All of the different "sinus" or "cold" or whatever formulas are the same ingredient, just different labels--don't know how they get away with it but whatever...) Now, I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to tell you it's safe, and there was a thread on SB about Afrin possibly contributing to a O2 toxicity fatality, but that's what I did and I swear by the stuff. Before, I would equalize too hard and end up with blood in my mask.

The strange thing is, my ears have gotten used to it somehow, and I never need the Afrin anymore, even when out of the water for over a month. Maybe there was disgusting stuff stuck in my eustacean tubes that I managed to dislodge? ;-)

I would take the Afrin and start clearing even before I left my room. If one side wouldn't clear, I would help it along by plugging the ear on the opposite side. Then, under water, both sides would clear more easily.

I would also try some of the non-chemical solutions others have posted. And certainly use the 12-hr so it doesn't wear off during a dive.

Last edited by a moderator:
One very simple and probably minor point implicit in what other people suggested: When you begin to feel the squeeze or pain while descending, you must ascend a few feet until the sensation disappears. At that point, and not before, try the swallowing, neck stretching, nose blowing, head tilting, and the rest of it. Never, never try to clear when the problem is present. It only takes a meter or so ascent to make it go away. There is still some pressure present, and you can equalize with far greater effectiveness, and continue to equalize as you continue to descend, as many others have suggested.

I am a slow clearer on my first 2 dives.. then I am good..

If one ear does not go easily I aim it towards the surface. Seems to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom