Help with finding an optometrist with scuba experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgreider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure exactly where to post this, but I'm looking for a recommendation for an eye care professional OD or MD that specializes in scuba issues or is an active diver. I'm looking to get an evaluation for a prescription mask and my regular eye doctor said he really doesn't have experience with scuba masks. I'm willing to travel to get an evaluation.
Thanks in advance

Just sent a mask to these people Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878. they were recommended by LDS. Should know in a few weeks!

I had the typical +/- lens in my first mask but still felt I was looking thru a straw at my computer, hopefully this deal gives a bigger surface area to look thru.

Thanks for the response. I do have a bit of a complicated prescription. Different lenses for each eye as well as age related can't see S^#* up close. My local eye doctor has no problem giving me my complete prescription, I just want to make sure everything goes okay.

ChuckP. Please post when you get your mask and use it.

Absolutely will, I'll try it in pool but will be in Nassau in 19 days!!!!!

I'm an old dude too that can't see up close period, one eye different than the other and now they're telling me I can't see far away - no good doctors....

I have a G2 and in Classic screen it's fine, it's when it goes into warnings the screen gets crowded and I really have to look at it close to see what it's saying.

My instructor has been around since the ice age and he recommends these folks, there's many others that do it but I followed his lead.

Get your prescription, email it to Prescription Dive Masks or Seavisionusa and give them a call. They are the eye care professionals who are specialized in scuba diving.
Most probably they can tell how your prescription should be modified, if at all for custom ground mask lenses.

I have had prescription lenses in three mask so far. I use the pop in corrective lenses. Most shops are me have them and they are in .5 increments. They even have some bi focals but they will usually ship out for those.

Lost my mask on my last shore dive and had to get a new one. Lucky for me they had a low volume black skirt mask. To say the least I was excited.

Dive on,
Nick

I used to wear contacts all the time and they were great with a regular mask for diving, but as I have gotten older my prescription and contacts don't work as well for me any more - so sadly I am back to wearing glasses on a daily basis. I spoke to my optometrist about getting a prescription mask and he was able to calculate in the magnification effect of water and give me contacts that work great diving. I can see distance well, and near vision is fine but it gets a little blurry when I get very close - but I can still read my gauges without problem. I have thought of trying those "stick on" lenses for my near vision but I am not sure what to get - does anyone have suggestions?

You can't beat "Prescription Dive Masks" they know their stuff and are divers that care that the mask works right.. And they can do ANY mask.. I have a Hollis M-1 that has a large single lens a getting my Bi-focal script in right now... Most will only do masks with double lens ..

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom