Help with fish ID.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Okay, I've seen alot of fish but what the heck?

Where was it, how big, how deep, etc...
Looks like some sort of juvenile grouper to me...

It's a grouper, possibly a young Nassau grouper.
It is at a cleaning station and in "clean me" colors, so it's much, much redder than it normally would be.
Where in the world did you see it? That'll help in IDing it.
Rick

I don't think it was a Nassau grouper, I took the picture in Sodwana Bay South Africa.
I'm sure it's some kind of grouper, but I also don't think it was a juvenile

Halfmoon Grouper.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

halfmoon%20grouper.jpg

I think that might be it. Thanks.

Sorry but I disagree. Pretty sure its a Blacktip Grouper, Epinephelus fasciatus.
They can be highly variable, but the lack of mottling (especially in the tail) is a good indicator.

Halfmoon is mottled/speckled and the side bars are more irregular. Image by Lockett above is also (I believe) a blacktip, not a halfmoon. Best reference for this is Steene, Allen, Humann, Deloach: Reef Fish Tropical Pacific. If you google image search you will see several mis-identified images. Try a google image search of the latin name Epinephelus rivulatus and you will see some decent images of the halfmoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom