Help with frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes the path to success becomes clearer if we try to fail deliberately.

Let's try a frog kick that creates no (or very minimal) forward thrust. At the end of the loading stroke, let's relax and wait until the fin tips have gone from the whale tail configuration back to pointing more or less straight back. Now let's extend the legs slowly and move the fins through the water like slowly thrusting a knife. When he legs are almost fully extended, let's rip the fins forward in a fast loading stroke, then wait and slowly extend again.

After doing this (slow, flat extension and a ripping loading stroke) a couple of times we are moving backwards. This is the backwards frog kick. The gross motion is the same as the forward frog kick, however timing and subtle changes in the fin angles are vastly different.

Let's shift gears and go forward again. Pull the fins forward, gently, flat, and relaxed. Just before reaching the end of the loading stroke, flick the tips outward and briskly stop the forward motion of lower leg. Let the inertia carry the tips forward. When you got the maximum whale tail spread, push the feet and fins back while initiating the rotation to create maximum thrust.

The clap at the end of the power stroke is a soft stop of the leg movement. Kind of a fizzling out into the glide phase.

Focus more on speed changes in the motion and when to initiate fin angle changes rather than trying to muscle the fins into a certain static position.

Last edited:
Just an update: After few hours of trials on the surface (swimming) I think I am getting there. Ok my kicks are not very efficient yet, it takes effort and concentration, several kicks are off etc but I think I now know how to do it - I just need more exercise to master it. I haven't managed to dive yet :( to try it in real conditions and see how it feels though. Maybe this Sunday.

As for the video my selfie stick is not long enough :) As a result, most of the footage was way off my legs. It doesn't worth posting it.

Thanks a lot for your help

*deleted and moved to a new thread*

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I would piggy back on an existing thread.

You don't pay by the post here on SB, it is free!! If it is a new topic, start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom