Help with go pro 3 underwater settings with red filter, Caribbean, 30-80 ft. Protune?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Kiwibird; same here... I just registered; and I love your videos. I just got my GoPro 3 Black and I would like to know what setting do you use? And if you use different setting for shallow dives than deep dives.

I know this subject has been beat like a dead horse but here goes.
I am still not completely decided on frame rate. I have done a couple shallow dives <20ft and used 1080/60 and it is fine. Now I know the main advantage of 60fps is smooth video when viewed at 60fps. I do most of my viewing on TV so i always finalize my video output to 1080p/30. I'm under the impression that while editing 60fps video, when stretching and slowing down clips, it makes the slower motion smoother. Is that accurate, because I do tend to adjust my clips often that way?

I will be diving the Caribbean (Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman) in a few weeks. Diving at depths of around 60ft or so some times, would the use of 30fps be advantageous in relation to the light? My equipment is GoPro H3 BE, SRP red filter, a couple of lights if needed. If the only advantage of 60fps is for viewing at 60fps then I won't bother with it. One more thing, at what depth do you recommend I start using the SRP filter?

Thanks?

Here's a video I did last week (first time using the GoPro under water) using 1080/60, wide, and auto WB with a backscatter 3.0 red filter. Watch it in HD in full screen. The depth varied from 15 ft to about 40ft. Water was extremely clear

[video=youtube;SlXLqK0rCI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlXLqK0rCI0[/video]

Here's a video I did last week (first time using the GoPro under water) using 1080/60, wide, and auto WB with a backscatter 3.0 red filter. Watch it in HD in full screen. The depth varied from 15 ft to about 40ft. Water was extremely clear

[video=youtube;SlXLqK0rCI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlXLqK0rCI0[/video]
The color was good, a little more sequestration or contrast wouldn't hurt.
Did you have the filter on at 15ft? I've tried my SRP filter at 15-20 ft and it made the image too brown IMO.
Unedited screen-caps:

Filter on redon.jpg filter off redoff.jpg

The color was good, a little more sequestration or contrast wouldn't hurt.
Did you have the filter on at 15ft? I've tried my SRP filter at 15-20 ft and it made the image too brown IMO.
Unedited screen-caps:

Filter on View attachment 164841 filter off View attachment 164842

I did have the filter on. I have some shallow videos (6-8') where I had left the filter on. You can see it very brown there. I think the backscatter did a good job with the reds.

How deep was that?

90 to 112 FSW When the shark goes up top, the 1st dropoff is ~ 60 FSW The sharks are down at ~ 140-160 ft and will come up to 90 ft to investigate but not much more (except for smaller ones)

Takes some plastic bottle crinkling to bring them up to 90 (listen in background) :)

90 to 112 FSW When the shark goes up top, the 1st dropoff is ~ 60 FSW The sharks are down at ~ 140-160 ft and will come up to 90 ft to investigate but not much more (except for smaller ones)

Takes some plastic bottle crinkling to bring them up to 90 (listen in background) :)
I figured it was deep considering even with the filter, the colors are weak. At least I know filming can still be done at such depths with the filter still attached. I saw you had your light on, I would do the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom