Help with Honeymoon in West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zubaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been reading lots and lots of posts regarding accomodations in roatan. Here's me situation and I hope someone familiar with Roatan may be able to help.

We are 29 (her) and 36 (me) and are looking to honeymoon for two weeks in West End in June or July. I have been to Roatan a couple of times in '99 when I was working in mainland honduras so I am familiar enough to know that west end has the combination of diving, beach, snorkling, restaurants, and night life that would suit us.

We are new divers and hope to do our classwork in the states and open water in Roatan (Coconut tree?). I will most likely do much more diving than her, so I would like her to be able to beach, snorkle, and generally hang out in West End.

I am trying to figure out accomodations for two weeks in west end. We are VERY low maintenance people and do not need any luxuries that the all inclusives offer (pool, room service, etc). Accomodations would just need to be safe and clean. A small cabana on or near the water would be paradise.

Does anybody have recommendations for medium budget accomodations in West End that might work for us.

So far I have Coconut Tree, lands end resort, luna beach resort, ???

I think I stayed at the Coconut Tree before and if I remember the cabanas were right across from the store and right along the road. They were clean and nice though.

Any help or experience would be helpfull.

Thanks,

zubaz,

Not to pry into your finances, but can you give us an idea of what sort of budget you are planning? That will help in finding places to recommend.

As for Coconut Tree Diver's - do a search in the Bay Islands for for "Coconut Tree". I have posted several times about them and have nothing but good things to say. They are great people, run a top notch operation, and have everything going for them. You can't go wrong at Coconut Tree unless you require more than 4 dives per day. If that is the case, you need to look at some of the AI places that have both boat and shore diving.

Thanks for the responses. Coconut Tree seems to be a unanimous choice for a good diving experience.

As far as budget goes, We are not on a backpackers budget but also do not need 5 star accomodations. Almost everything I have looked at is in our budget so I guess recommendations on the best place around West End that we can walk to everything, yet have some tranquility would be ideal.

I have stayed at the Inn of Last Resort a long time ago and really enjoyed the tranquility. Considering the diving and meals included, it is very affordable. The only problem is getting too and from West End is a bit of a pain although everyone there was willing to give rides and taxies were cheap and easy.

Thanks.

It's your honeymoon, so let's look at nice places...

1. Lands End - It just got sold to new owners, so my comments may or may not be relevant to the current situation. Lands End is right on the water, and the "oceanfront" rooms are very romantic/nice. The property is quite nice - includes a beach bar, beach, and large infinity pool. This would be one of my first choices. Prices range from $50 - $120/night

2. Beach House - Haven't been there, but it's about the most expensive place in West End to my knowledge, tipping the wallet busting scale at $200/night for the nicest room.

Now we are getting it narrowed down!

Beach House is probably too high end.

Lands End looks ok it looks like it is quiet but only a short walk to West End.

Posado Arco Iris looks like almost everyone's favorites. It does look like a great place to stay.

Half Moon Bay Cabins looks appealing but there website has no contact info ????

Mame Tree Bungalows' website looks very honeymoony. Anyone have any experience here?

One thing I am concerned about is cruise ship people. I know when I was there previoiusly, there was nervous talk about cruise ships stopping by west end. From some of the posts, it looks like it has happened. West End used to be sooooo mellow. A bunch of backpacker college kids, divers, locals, and a handfull of Euros all having a great time.

I hope it hasn't changed too much.

Thanks for all your help!

Don't fret about the cruise ship lemmings - they show up, wander around aimlessly and leave. They're not a problem, but do provide hours of amusement.

Mame Tree Bungalows was recommended to us by a friend. We haven't actually been there to check them out.

One of our diving companions in January stayed at Half Moon Bay Cabins - he said they weren't fancy, but worked OK. He paid $600/month (staying for a while) to stay there...

West End is still mellow. The cruise ship folks are not a big problem until they get out on the reef.

Try Sueno Del Mar, it is a nice small resort with a dive shop. The owner's name is Ray, my wife and I stayed their last Easter and enjoyed ourselves.
http://suenodelmar.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom