Roatan, West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In West End, you can't throw a rock without hitting a dive op. They're everywhere. The only one I have any experience with is Pro Dive Roatan. It was a bit of a concierge dive op and was about double the price of most of the others in town, but it was rather nice. The only reason we used them was that we had met another couple about our age, maybe a little older, and that is who they had been diving with. But if you use one and aren't particularly impressed with them, you shouldn't have any trouble locating another one to try.

Reactions: Doc
Hi Folks,
Looking for thoughts on West End-based dive operators.

Going in May. Staying in West End at Cocolobo w/ my wife. (first time to Roatan!) Looking for a good dive operator near there. My wife- snorkel only. Me - At least five dives, maybe more, and maybe go for the advanced certification. I probably have about 60-80 dives total.
Currently looking at Coconut Tree Divers and Sun Divers. I am sure there are many good operators. Just read the very good review of Island Dive Center (IDC).
And one last question - about doing the advanced certification... I believe (and have read here) that the instructor is the thing, not the shop and certainly not the agency. But how one finds a skilled instructor without being there and meeting, etc - I have no idea. (Other than ask here 😉) I know I can probably do the tests, do the dives, check the boxes and get the card. But would prefer to get more out of it if possible.
Any and all ideas and recommendations are welcome! 🤿🌴🌞
AOW in Roatan makes a lot of sense, as the shops can be firm about PADI OW limits without it. On the course, ask about a drift dive at "Texas", a deep dive at "Hole in the Wall", a night dive and peak bouancy anywhere close, a wreck dive at El Aguila, a Cavern dive at "Bears Den": all are fantastic dives that offer a lot of fun with the course.

Any shop will get you an AOW card. The two mentioned are fine. By planning “5 dives”, that is not the true path to becoming an advanced diver.

Roatan is your oyster. Use it for all you can. West End visitors usually do 8-10 dives a week, shoot for 12, grab for 15.

“Advanced Diving” (not the card) is being exposed to varying dive conditions, boats, entries, challenges. Roatan is essentially a ‘confined wafter environment’, not much more, by most Agency standards. Flop in, paddle around, fair viz, get out, repeat. The compass training? Kind of a waste of a good dive, otherwise. An instructor has to try really hard to contrive situational challenges to provide AOW type elements/modules. Roatan diving is easy in every respect.

A good idea? UNDERWATER NATURALIST after you do Peak Performance Buoyancy. That’s what Roatan is really for.

Experience is what you really want, not the plastic card. Roatan can give you some of that. Dive more.
Thank you - don't know how I missed this. Not so good with the forum, settings, etc. But I am excited to be going to Belize in a week, and Roatan for a week after that. And I appreciate your perspective!

I dove a lot with Coconut Tree. They're good people and will keep you safe and show you interesting sites.

That said, you might think of doing more diving. It's an inexpensive place to dive tropically, and you could easily get 4 dives in during a day.

Do you dive at home, or just on vacation? If you dive at home, I'd recommend doing Advanced there. You have to do underwater navigation, and that's just not a fun training dive to also enjoy the fish. Might as well do it in Puget Sound or Hood Canal (or wherever you dive around Portland). Other dives may be similar, depending on what's offered and what you want. But if it were me, I wouldn't want to do the Nav dive on vacation in a cool place....
Thanks - I only dive warmer water (after one Puget Sound experience). I am looking forward to getting many dives in. Will see about my energy level.

In retrospect, you are probably right about the Nav dive. But what the heck, I will doing the advanced cert dives at a small island place in Belize (REEFCI),and it will be practice and experience. 🤿

Just got back from Roatan, we stayed at AKR for the bulk of the trip. But before I did was in the west end and did my SM training with Roatan Tec Center, which is part of Coconut Tree. Nothing but great things to say about the shop, instructors and operation.

I appreciate that much!
Now that your dive options are sorted, let me recommend my favorite thing in West End - an afternoon of drinking at Sundowner's Beach Bar- https://www.roatanyp.com/west-end/bars/sundowners-beach-bar/
It is everything that a bar at the end of the world should be!
Now that your dive options are sorted, let me recommend my favorite thing in West End - an afternoon of drinking at Sundowner's Beach Bar- Sundowner's Beach Bar & Grill | West End, Roatan, Honduras
It is everything that a bar at the end of the world should be!
Excellent! Thank you. Next to diving, eating and drinking, are two favorite things. And my wife will be joining me on my third day.

Just got back from Roatan, we stayed at AKR for the bulk of the trip. But before I did was in the west end and did my SM training with Roatan Tec Center, which is part of Coconut Tree. Nothing but great things to say about the shop, instructors and operation.
Lane, did you see evidence of Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD)? Apparently, there have been reports of it on Roatan reefs as far back as 2020. Did your dive operator have any sort of measures in place to help protect against spread of SCTLD? I'm trying to gauge SCTLD's affect on Roatan diving versus other places, such as Bonaire, where it's apparently become a big deal lately.

Back
Top Bottom