Help with my Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrisen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have my Abyss which I have had for years. I am now having problems with it this season. I had it inspected now twice and both times tell me it is fine. I really do not feel comfortable diving with it. Here is what is wrong with it:

1. When it hit depth it wheezes and it is quite noticable.

2. At 80 feet and on it is hard to breath from. I feel like I have to struggle to get air from it, and the wheeze gets louder.

THe first time the the shop checked it out I was told the diaphragm was just dry and that was fixed. Dove the long weekend and still had problems. I am not ready to part with this reg yet for a new model, would love to get it fixed. It was serviced last year is it opssible that it just needs to be serviced again? Diving season is not over yet

Ashley

It could possibly be that the air flow through the first stage is partially impaired. Is the inlet filter discolored at all?

Do you have access to an intermediate pressure gauge? If so, I can give you some pointers on how to use it and interpret the information that it can deliver.

These two questions will give me more information, and I might be able to give you a better indication if service is needed.

Greg Barlow

Hi Greg I took it into a shop where they checked it and tested it and tested out fine. It was given two thumbs up and said all good. the first time a few weeks ago the diaphragm I wad told was dry and that was corrected.

adrisen:
Hi Greg I took it into a shop where they checked it and tested it and tested out fine. It was given two thumbs up and said all good. the first time a few weeks ago the diaphragm I wad told was dry and that was corrected.

Is the shop an authorized Mares dealer? The second stage diaphragm is made from black silicone, and doesn't need any lubrication. In fact, if the diaphragm's outer sealing edge was lubricated, it could become dislodged. Some techs use a small amount of lubricant on the tip of the demand lever. This is the point where it touches the metal disk of the diaphragm.

Perhaps the second stage was slightly out of adjustment.

Greg Barlow

Hi Ashley,

Well something is obviously wrong if your Abyss becomes hard to breathe at deeper depths. This should not happen with an Abyss. You also should feel confident with your equipment. Drop me a pm telling me which shop you've been using. Also please forward the city you live in. If you like, I can arrange for you to send your reg to our service center and have our tech look into it or recommend an authorized dealer close to you.

Back
Top Bottom