Help with planning a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesDL

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greets all -

I believe this may be my first post on here, but I've been signed up for while, browsing the forums and whatnot... So a little about me - I'm a 23 year old pre-med student working at a bio lab in Philadelphia. I grew up on Long Island Sound and I've loved SCUBA diving since I was certified when I was 12 (although I've never done it in the Sound, pretty mucky there), and have always wanted to do a liveaboard trip. I've been diving in Cape Cod, Block Island, British Virgin Islands and Turks and Caicos (my most recent trip, last summer, did 12 dives there).

Now that I've graduated school and have a real job, I am seriously looking into a liveaboard. I'm young and adventurous and I don't really care much about a "pampered" cruise. I would have no problem eating oatmeal and hotdogs all week as long as I get some great diving in :) So I have all my own gear, and I am looking for the most economical way to do this sometime in the next 6 months. Any advice on specific companies to look into, and what I can expect to spend in the end would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm assuming that I'll be somewhere in the Caribbean, unless I could go somewhere more exotic for not too much more money, but I'm guessing the airfare to Fiji or the Red Sea (the two places I would most want to go) would probably be too expensive for me. I'm hoping to do this for no more than $1000 to $1200, but hopefully less.

Thanks,
James

Hi James and welcome.

This is a link to a liveaboard in the Bahamas that sails out of Miami. The Juliet is a 3 masted schooner and you get to help sail her when they are under way. Only 12 divers at a time. Really good price and includes everything. I think she's set up for couples but you should ask anyway.

www.sailjuliet.com

There's also Blackbeard's. But they are now sailing out of Freeport, Grand Bahama. They are cheap but the airline fare might not be. Check them out, I believe they offer help in finding cheap fares, too.

http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

If you shop around a bit on the web:

Airfare New York - London and back $600-700
Liveaboard from Hurghada with flight from London $600

This requires some negotiation skill. Rounds up to be cheaper than Blackbeard's with the airfare.... Otherwise in the Caribbean, count $700 airfare + $1000 for the liveaboard.

When it comes to travel, I regret to say, we live in the wrong place. Are all Americans supposed to have two weeks of vacation and unlimited budget? Thus the price.... Always three times higher than Europe!

Its not $700 to the Caribbean or Bahamas if you look around. I just did Blackbeards and we booked a flight for $400 round trip from Indianapolis to Freeport. The liveaboard is about a $1000 when tip is included so for about $1500 you get a weeks worth of diving. Delta has lots of flights so start your search there.

Blackbeard's was awesome by the way!

You might also check with a travel agent to research pricing on charter flights to Freeport. Usually the luggage allowance is less, but the flights tend to be cheaper.

Allam:
When it comes to travel, I regret to say, we live in the wrong place. Are all Americans supposed to have two weeks of vacation and unlimited budget? Thus the price.... Always three times higher than Europe!
You only get two weeks holiday??????:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom