Help with purchasing first drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a friend who has just purchased her first drysuit and has gotten me interested in purchasing one for myself. I have never dove with a drysuit. I have never worn one. I know that it would be best to try one on to have an idea of the size. I will not be able to purchase one until after my wedding. I have found a drysuit on leisurepro which seems to be a good deal. Can anyone recommend a good drysuit? Here is the link that drysuit.... Bare Nex-Gen Dry Suit 2007 Package from LeisurePro.com . I know these are probably silly questions but I have no diea.

1) If I were to wear the same undergarmets with two different suits, would I be just as warm in either suit?

2) Take for example the suit that the link is for, is it better to buy as a package or each individual item?

3) Are you required to have rock boots or can you dive with just the soft boots like I have seen already attached to the suit?

4) Are all zippers heavy duty? I have had someone mention that I would probably need one with a heavy duty zipper.

I can't think of any other questions right now. I am just basic open water. No tech/cave diving. I just want to be able to dive in cold water. I would love to have a drysuit but trying to keep the price as cheap as possible, which I know will be hard to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael

1) Assuming that when you mention two different suits you mean two of the same type: trilam or neoprene, both non leaking, and same amount of air in them. I would say if there were any differences they would be negligable.

2) Here is a link to just that suit: Bare 2007 Nex-Gen Dry Suit Mens Black. from LeisurePro.com Rather then having special under garments I just use sweatshirts and other closes to layer, if its really cold a snow suit mainly as I can not justify the amount they are asking for special undergarments. I also assume that if you dive in cold enough water for a drysuit, you have a hood and gloves already.

3) The picture of just the suit appears to have the rock boots shown in the picture as well. I do not wear any additional booty, as my suit has soft attached boots with a hard rubber sole.

4) As for heavy duty zipper, some of them come with a second zipper that isn't water proof that zips right over the top of the water proof zipper to protect the water proof one underneath it.

Another thing you may want to think about is zipper placement, if its on the back across the shoulders it is impossible to get into and out of by yourself.

1st - Get Dry Suit certified...
2nd rent some suits, as many diffrent types as you can
or dry suit demo days, DUI and White do them all over the country - I woulod be willing to bet that others do it as well.

How much dry suit diving are you going to do?

Hi Michael,
I'll take a shot at answering a few of your questions...

1) If I were to wear the same undergarments with two different suits, would I be just as warm in either suit?

The undergarment you will need depends on several things:
- In general, the undergarment you select depends on the water temperature you dive and your tolerance to the cold.
- The lightweight suit that you selected has very little insulation properties to the suit itself. This means that the undergarment that you wear is what keeps you warm. On the other hand a crushed neoprene suit has some insulation value to the suit itself so you can wear less undergarments but crushed neo is more expensive and a bit more buoyant.

2) Take for example the suit that the link is for, is it better to buy as a package or each individual item?

- The Leisure Pro package looks like a good deal on last years suit. I buy gear both on line and at a dive shop but prefer to purchase this type of item in a shop. You want to make sure it fits correctly and is the right suit for the diving you intend to do. Also, you should take a drysuit course which most dive shops throw in for free when you buy a suit from them.

3) Are you required to have rock boots or can you dive with just the soft boots like I have seen already attached to the suit?

- The socks on the suit are pretty flimsy. For this package you need the Rock Boots.

- Integrated boots vs. Rock Boots - Do a search on this board, there is tons of information about both options

4) Are all zippers heavy duty? I have had someone mention that I would probably need one with a heavy duty zipper.

All drysuit zippers are heavy duty to some extent. There are different grades of drysuit zippers that come with different grades of suits. The BARE suit you are looking at is an entry level suit but you should get hundreds of dives out of the zipper as long as you maintain it by keeping it waxed and clean.

Here's some other things to consider and research before buying:
- Self donning vs shoulder entry
- Cuff dump vs shoulder dump
- Dry gloves vs wet
- Latex seals vs neoprene seals

Thanks for all the help. I have thought about renting a suit and try it out in a swimming pool to familiarize myself with it but no lds has any to rent. I am planning on attending the next closest demo day. More than likely it will be DUI at Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham. Most diving will be done in no colder than upper 40's but would love to travel north and do some ice diving some day. Actually videos of ice diving the arctic is what really grabbed my attention and interest in diving with a drysuit. I really appreciate all the replies. One other question I have is

1) I am diving a pair of Oceanic Split Fins V12. I am thinking that I would have to have a different pair of fins for drysuit diving, is that correct?

2)Hear comes another stupid question, brace yourself....., I will have to buy a hood and gloves specifically for "dry" use correct?.......See I told you it was going to be stupid.

I am hoping that I would be able to use it at least 2 times (2 days of diving) per month.
I just have no idea when it comes to anything related to drysuit diving.

Thanks again

you've run this by your bride to be, right? good luck. :)

(get it while you can)

Back
Top Bottom