Help with UW photo accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
I was not thinking of not enough light but rather lighting angles. The ext strobe will be coming down from above-at least with the present mount I have, an Inon DIII and I was thinking the head on lighting from the internal strobe may improve/reduce the shadows when used in combination with the external strobe.

I see what you're gettin' at. If you place your strobe directly over your camera, in fact mine touches the top of my housing, aimed at your subject you won't have severe shadows from above. For really close macro I lower the power of my strobe a bit to prevent blowout on the light areas and to deminish shadows. The light is coming from the front and slightly above at an angle. If there's any particulate in the water, the angle of the strobe will prevent the backscatter from being highlighted. Whereas the light from the internal flash goes straight out and bounces off the particulates straight back into the camera.

The only way to be sure is try it!

I agree that Yuzo is great to do business with and I've used him often, but since you are here in the States, contact Ryan at Reef Photo & Video. His prices are good and he has excellent service and you won't pay the high shipping from Japan. Give Ryan a call, he can explain all your choices and help you make a decision based on your needs.

I've been reading this thread with considerable interest and I have a few questions for anyone who is using a locline system.

-There are several sizes available, what size are you using?
-Have you found the support for the strobe to be adequate above water?
-Any problems encountered with the sections detaching? Would I need to worry about securing the strobe with some sort of line to guard against this?

Thanks for help.

-John

Dee:
I love my Fisheye tray and flexi arms.

Hey Dee

Can you point me in the right direction to find one of these? I've been searching but I can't find them in the U.S.

Leaving for Coz on the 31st so time is of the essence.

Thanx!
Jeff

Moodiejeff:
Hey Dee

Can you point me in the right direction to find one of these? I've been searching but I can't find them in the U.S.

Leaving for Coz on the 31st so time is of the essence.

Thanx!
Jeff

I bought mine from Yuzo at UWdigital camera. I've always gotten my orders in 4 days, even though he's in Japan. I did notice he has an announcement that he can't ship anything until Jan. 29th because of holidays there.

Seashooters lists the Fisheye but I've been hearing there are problems with Seashooter's service so you might want to talk to Tim on the phone rather than just ordering online. Something to check into, anyway.

I'm not sure about the size since I've only seen one size. I'd say my locline sections are about 1" in diameter. I bought my original loc-line arms from Light and Motion. They are called Infinity Arms on their site. When I went digital and got the Fisheye tray with loc-line arm, I used part of one of the originals to extend the Fisheye one. The sizes match perfectly. I like a 18" arm for versatility.

Yes, up to a point. If fully extended out to one side the arm will droop. But if kept positioned more upright, there's no problem. In the water, the support is excellent. Stiff enough to stay in position yet easy to maneuver into place.

I have never had any section come apart, above or below the water. In fact, it takes a great deal of effort to snap the arm apart. One reason I like the loc-line arms is I can snap it off the housing and handhold it to get into those cracks and crevices if needed. It does take two hands to do, though! I've never tethered the strobe as I have complete confidence in the arm.

Back
Top Bottom