Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will recommend Zicam. I used the nasal spray and my head cold was gone in three days. I will also recommend exercise if it is still in your head. If it gets into your chest then I do not recommend any sort of exercise just drugs and fluids. As for diving that is between you and your instructor.

Airborn is also good ... in my experience Zicam worked better. Tastes better too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last May I got a cold (slightly blocked sinuses) right before my last pool session for OW cert. I was given a lot of advice from "don't even go in the pool" to "take sudafed coupled w/ swimmer's ear", etc.. Here's the thread for reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98587

Me, being overzealous coupled with having plane tickets in hand, hotel reservations, a car rental, and referral reservations with a dive op in the Keys pushed me to taking the latter advice.

Bad mojo, man. I ended up with ear barotrauma that kept me out of the water for over 10 months.

I feel your pain, but it isn't worth the risk imho having been in your situation myself and ending up having to wait almost an entire year to get back in the water because of one stupid mistake.

Now, if your sinuses aren't blocked (or partially blocked or starting to block up) then that's another story. Maybe you could get by with the suggestions above. But if it were me...which it was...I wouldn't do it.

Best of luck to you!!

Zicam also makes a nasal gel type stuff. it has zinc in it. i swear by it!!!! if you use it when you're first feeling symptoms you can knock the cold right out. you pump a very sm. amt. into each nostril. (follow the directions on the pkg.) and you do it like 3-4 times a day that first day or two. and i don't even come down with the cold. it's awesome. carry it in my purse all the time now, just in case.

DandyDon:
Here is another hint that might help? Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture of hydrogen perooxide whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into tissue."
BTW, hydrogen peroxide is probably prohibited on planes. If you like this, there are lots of places to obtain it in Key Largo - a Walgreens on the right (bayside) as you drive into Key Largo.

NWGratefulDiver:
Airborn is also good ... in my experience Zicam worked better. Tastes better too ...
I gotta try those. Evidence is anecdotal, but - sounds like they have a lot of support.

LuvDaOcean:
Last May I got a cold (slightly blocked sinuses) right before my last pool session for OW cert. I was given a lot of advice from "don't even go in the pool" to "take sudafed coupled w/ swimmer's ear", etc.. Here's the thread for reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98587

Me, being overzealous coupled with having plane tickets in hand, hotel reservations, a car rental, and referral reservations with a dive op in the Keys pushed me to taking the latter advice.

Bad mojo, man. I ended up with ear barotrauma that kept me out of the water for over 10 months.

I feel your pain, but it isn't worth the risk imho having been in your situation myself and ending up having to wait almost an entire year to get back in the water because of one stupid mistake.

Now, if your sinuses aren't blocked (or partially blocked or starting to block up) then that's another story. Maybe you could get by with the suggestions above. But if it were me...which it was...I wouldn't do it.

Best of luck to you!!
This probly your best advice. Don't do it. :wink:

miscbadvr:
I agree with Grateful Diver, Zicam knocked out my cold in a day or two. Amazing. I don't travel without it now.

Add me to the list. On Thursday night, March 30, I started to get a cold during dinner. I went to the drug store and got the ZiCam chewables. By nightfall, I was already in a full blown horror of a cold. I canceled my Friday dive and lived in msery for the day. On Saturday I was not so bad. I canceled my dive and held out hope for the Sunday three tank wreck extravaganza I had planned. On Sunday I had no trouble with the dives.

By the way, ZiCam works to shorten the cold, but it does not work on the symptoms as it does. I had to take Sudafed at the same time so I could breathe.

gargle with warm saltwater. best non medical soultion for sore throat ive found./

Back
Top Bottom