Henderson Semi-Dry v. Mares Isotherm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghostdiver

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a semi-dry suit for summer temperate water diving (California, Virginia). I have seen a lot of posts on the Isotherm, and most people seem happy with it.

But, other than posts concerning the seam problems with Henderson (yes, this seems to be a big problem) are people happy with their Henderson Semi-Dry suits? I like the idea of them because they are self-entry and made with hyperstretch along with the gold-core so it sounds like they would be much easier to put on. I wonder whether they actually keep you as dry as the Isotherm, which has dry suit seals and boots designed to seal with the legs of the suit.

Part of the problem is the Henderson website has very little information. For example, it is not even clear whether the chest zipper is a dry suit zipper, or just a standard wetsuit zipper.

Any input is appreciated.

Ghost,

I have no experience with the Henderson, but I have heard a lot of complaints about their suits. My son included who bought a Henderson and had problems right away with the stitching (started unraveling).

I have the Mares Isotherm and have had nothing but great warm dives with it. I recently took it out on 40deg water and never felt cold. Two 40 minutes dives and no problems. I was considering a drysuit, but if this suit keeps me this warm, I may never go to a drysuit.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I just got a Mares Isotherm and haven't had a chance to get it wet yet, but I've talked to a couple folks that told me Henderson is about to come out with a semi-dry that's meant to compete with the Isotherm at about double the cost to the dealer. Retail for the Mares is $599, the Henderson is expected to be around $899.

I do have a Henderson wetsuit that I love, so I'm not partial to one manufacturer or the other. Just another bit of info for you.

Rachel

I used mine for the first time last weekend in a pool. It fit very well and with gloves and boots on, it did not allow any water in at all.

You definately need help zipping it up.

I am looking forward to using it in a quarry, probably next weekend.

I purchased mine on line from divedepot.us, $330.....

That's where I got mine, I was just comparing the manufacturer's retail prices for comparison. Full retail..... <snicker>

Now if they had just sent the boots in the right size, and my reg wasn't in for service.....

*sigh* diving soon, I hope

R

Well I am really happy with my Henderson Gold core. I have had mine for think four years maybe three, but I have allways been happy with mine did have one seam give me trouble sent back to henderson they replaced the entire top with New one and it was allmost a year old with maybe 40 dives on it , nothing but praise with mine at this point belive mine has close to 320 dives on it been thinking of replacing it for a dry suit but still not sure just my 2 cents !!!

I've been diving with my Mares Isotherm in Northern CA since last Oct. It's a great suit - very warm, keeps you surprisingly dry.

You do have to be careful with the zipper. The teeth are plastic and the zip is a bit stiff when new. Be sure to lubricate it after every dive (like a drysuit). You also need someone to zip you up, which may or may not be an issue to you - I always dive with a buddy. But make sure she/he isn't too rough- the zip on my first suit got damaged by a careless buddy. Thankfully the shop replaced it for me on warranty.

Ah, I have the new isotherm with the metal dry suit zipper. Got it wet for the first time today. I had some water come in the neck seal, but I couldn't make myself put the hood on (just doing a weight check in the pool).

Hopefully have it out in open water soon.

R

Both my regular dive buddy and I use the Henderson Goldcore suits. Either one has had any seam problems. Maybe a bad run or something.

My buddy dives a Henderson Semi-dry and likes it very much. In fact he is on his second suit, the first being stolen with all his gear early this year. The second suit is much tighter and has better seals than the first he says.
The zipper is a heavier version of the wetsuit zipper with a back (interior) seal and zips across the front, shoulder to shoulder. I always help him to keep the seals as aligned as possible.

I like the Goldcore very much. Easy to don and it drys very fast! However I never dove a Mares suit either....

I tried the mares on, but did not like the back across the shoulder zipper. It was very ridgid, and to me felt very uncomfortable. For me it really hampered my arm movement. Other than that, it fit well and seemed well made. Just my observation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom