Here we go again...PST tanks marked E9791/SP9791

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budprop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

Industry Bulletin: Status of the Special Permit 9791​

By PSI-PCIaccess_timeOctober 23, 2022
PSI-PCI would like to provide the following factual information related to the expiration of Special Permit 9791 (marked on cylinders as either E9791 or SP9791).
The Special Permit (SP) is expired as of 9/30/22. This means that any cylinder stamped with that SP9791 or E9791 is no longer valid for use, fill or transport in the US by law. It means that regardless if the cylinder still contains gas, or is still within its current hydro or inspection period, it is still not valid for fill, use or transport.
There is potentially good news on the horizon. Please read this carefully and do not interpret anything other than the information provided. PSI-PCI has been in communication with the USDOT. They are considering taking administrative action with this SP. Since the permit owner has not renewed this SP, and due to the widespread use of this cylinder throughout the gas industry, the USDOT is currently considering how to renew the permit without requiring owners and users to apply for a special status.
HOWEVER, until that occurs, these cylinders should be marked as “Rejected”, reduced in gas capacity (if filled) to approximately 50psig, and set aside in a safe manner in storage. If / when the USDOT has made their determination we will provide an update to this announcement.

I saw that but thought I would start another since the title doesn't match the current situation.
Agreed. The other thread has a lot of interesting and useful information, but also from 2015, and 15-pages. A new thread to bring awareness to the expiration, current status, etc seems appropriate. (I was thinking about starting such a thread).

This last part:
HOWEVER, until that occurs, these cylinders should be marked as “Rejected”, reduced in gas capacity (if filled) to approximately 50psig, and set aside in a safe manner in storage. If / when the USDOT has made their determination we will provide an update to this announcement.
Yikes. Would that be a permanent marking/engraving?

I wouldn't make it permanent until there is a final determination. JMHO
Me either, however I'd be concerned if I dropped a tank off for Hydro or VIP, only to discover it permanently marked when picking it up by a technician.

Ouch, quite surprised to see that way of doing. Are all the tanks in the US dependent on such permit? Is it something that exists elsewhere?

Ouch, quite surprised to see that way of doing. Are all the tanks in the US dependent on such permit? Is it something that exists elsewhere?

No, does not apply to all tanks in the US. It does not apply to AL or LP steel. It does apply to HP steel tanks as they are manufactured & transported under a special permit. I believe that applies to ALL high pressure steel tanks (3442 and 3500 service pressure) in the US. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, does not apply to all tanks in the US. It does not apply to AL or LP steel. It does apply to HP steel tanks as they are manufactured & transported under a special permit. I believe that applies to ALL high pressure steel tanks (3442 and 3500 service pressure) in the US. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Isn’t it limited to steel tanks manufactured by PST that require the special “stretching” hydro procedure that is different than the regular hydro procedure? If so, I can see a lot of hydro operators supporting this sunsetting of the exception because it is another low volume thing they have to do, and do competently, or risk their credentials.

There are some high pressure cylinders manufactured by Faber that are DOT 3AA and have the 10% overfill.

M71SDVB - 3,300 pis (3,000 +10%)
M100SDVB - 3,498 ( 3,180 + 10%)

I owned some of the 100 cuft cylinders. Heavy. -6.7 pound empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom