Here's some grist for the mill Sat 9-3-11 Dive site Neptune II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I guess my physiology was off Saturday.

Sat 9-3-11 Dive site Neptune II 5miles south of Satchuaet Point, RI
Phil, Dave and I left Pier 5 Narragansett, RI at approx 0815 seas were flat with small rollers at long intervals. The sky was mostly sunny with no wind. We decided to skip Castle Hill and dive the Neptune II instead, in hopes of better vis in the open water. About a mile out the seas and the wind started to pickup. Arriving at the site the water was getting worse. After a couple of tries Dave hooked into the wreck we began to gear up. The water was pretty rough and while gearing up I began to get sea sick. I needed to get in the water. After a couple of dry heaves, Dave and I went in leaving Phil on the boat. Starting down the anchor line I felt a stiff current and realized my jon-line was still in my dive bag, I did have a wreck reel but not the presence of mind to use it.
I met Dave on the wreck. Visibility was a foot at 70fsw, ambient light was nil, temp was 56F and the current was trying to get us off the wreck. We exchanged ok signals and proceeded to begin the dive going our own ways.
Still diving with my head up my keyster I began to swim around the outside of the deck without attaching my wreck reel near the anchor line. About 5 min into my swim I came to a boom and lost sight of the deck. I began to get a little nervous as the boom was the only reference I had with the wreck now. I knew if I followed it the wrong way it could take me off the wreck and chances are I wouldn’t get back on. I felt a little dizzy and disoriented. I looked at my PDC 81fsw, I realized I’m getting narc’ed at 81 feet! The apprehension continued to increase as did my breathing. I’m quickly becoming my own worst enemy I thought. I need a reality check….fast! So I did what I do when I’m feeling narc’ed and started playing “what if”, What if I get off the wreck? Dave and I split up so he wouldn’t be waiting for me, so my missing wouldn’t impact him or stop him from surfacing when he planned, that’s good. No big deal I can shoot the SMB early so Phil will have plenty of time to see it before I get too far from the boat. I can use my compass to make an arc back towards the wreck and when the all steel hull starts making my compass heading change I’ll know I’m close. About then a huge ball of fish net appears in my light…back peddle! There is more than just that net! This is an entanglement zone! I’m still breathing hard and I’m not enjoying myself. I expel some air and sink losing contact with the boom but enabling me to maneuver around the nets, tackle, chain and fishing line without getting caught, good. Now I’m looking at the bow of the ship that’s good too, feeling better even though I’m now at 87fsw. I decided to stay in contact with the hull instead of the deck until I get back to the anchor line. I’m sure that it’s just a matter of fin strokes before I’m back to where I started. More nets hanging down, right to the bottom I’m willing to bet, (I’m at the port boom) and now that I’m on the other side of the ship the current wants to push me into the nets! Some hard fining gets me by the nets and heading back to the anchor. When I get back Dave is there securing his spear gun, probably can’t see any fish. Now that I’ve got my head backed out of my rectum I attach my wreck reel and start fining aft to checkout the screw and rudder. The narcosis is gone, my stomach is settled and I’m enjoying the dive now. I get to the stern but can’t get a picture of anything so back to the anchor line. I get there in time to meet Dave again, I give him the 1000psi and the I’m going up signal. After a slow ascent and a 3 minSS I’m back on the boat with 500psi to spare total dive time 40 min. Not a great dive, didn’t get any pictures or see many fish or much of anything for that matter. Not a great day for me with the sea sickness and shallow narc but, worth the trip.

neptune2-gg.jpg

All the rigging seen in this pic and more nets added to it over time. Thing looked like a wreck before t sank!

Last edited:
Thanx for the write up and the honesty. After I lost my mind on a wreck 2 years ago that I know by heart in about 85fsw my mantra became "it can happen to anyone, on any given Sunday for no reason." Cold, dark, smoking current, lack of hydration all contribute to narcosis. That incident sent me looking for some helium to hedge my bet. There is no shame in 36/20, just money. Glad it ended well for you.
Eric

Thanx for the write up and the honesty. After I lost my mind on a wreck 2 years ago that I know by heart in about 85fsw my mantra became "it can happen to anyone, on any given Sunday for no reason." Cold, dark, smoking current, lack of hydration all contribute to narcosis. That incident sent me looking for some helium to hedge my bet. There is no shame in 36/20, just money. Glad it ended well for you.
Eric

I think my problem was lack of sleep. I had worked Thursday night / Friday morning came home slept about an hour then didn't get back to bed until midnight Saturday got up 0500 Sat AM and went diving. I did have a good breakfast and plenty of liquids.

Even when we're used to cold, dark, moving water freaky things happen. The difference is experience been there done that knew how to handle it, still it rattles ya to know how easy it is to overlook the most obvious things like the wreck reel hanging off ones harness!:idk: I guess once in while King Neptune gives ya a nudge to make ya pay attention! That narc was rare for me. I've been down much deeper than 80' before I felt like I did Sat at 80'.
I think the fact that it went away even has I went a little deeper is a sign that something was off with me.

Awesome post AD. I was out last weekend too, and had the same crappy vis. Man you must have balls of steel diving that that wreck with 1 foot vis.

Thanks Petrieps, we were looking for better vis but didn’t know what to expect until we got in the water.
I don’t know about steel balls more like just an Old Bold New England diver. If we all waited around for good vis we’d be doing more waiting then diving! I would like to it dive that wreck again whenthe vis is better there are good opportunities for pictures there. I fear we may not have good vis here untilafter we’re diving in dry suits. Ithought the north shore was better for vis now, no? I was thinking of making a trip to Cape Ann, maybe I should re-think that trip. Where did you go diving last weekend?
I don’t think I’ll be diving for the next 2 weekends however, moving my Mom into assisted living so I’ll be busy. Maybe a short solo night dive if the weather permits.

Hi AfterDark. The vis has been good up here until Irene stired everything up. Most of my dives this year were were in the 20 foot vis range. I was a few miles off Gloucester over towards Boston. It seems like the deeper offshore water had worse vis than the shore diving sites. Hopefully the vis will get back to normal by next weekend, atleast the Merrimac River isn't brown anymore.
This time of year and through the winter i think is the best time to dive around here, less boat traffic and other divers, parking is better too.
If you do get up this way PM me maybe we could get together for a solo shore dive.
Sorry about your mom.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom