Here's the regulator real deal guys and gals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting thread indeed. It begs the question: why are the manufacturers not fitting all regulators with non oxidisable, or at least viton, o-rings.

Hello Aegir, In answer to your question The manufacturers are outfitting their regulators with better materials that are o2 compatable, O-rings such as EPDM and Viton are being used more often than not, and better HP seat materials are also being used such as Kel-f, Noryl,Vespel, and yes as previously stated Ruby.

The main things to understand is simply this: Dry suit divers that are using nitrox or other mixtures of gas are not using that gas for suit inflation, most use argon, or even air in a separate pony bottle. And yes there are questions about Counter-Difusion which is another thread all in its own, But that is only an issue when divers conduct extended dive times (Saturation)only then does the counter-difusion issue come up.

As far as the BC's and Safe Second Stages attached to them well the buck stops at the lp seat in the safe second and the valve in the bc inflation button/switch. Inside the BC is really not an issue because divers who dive nitrox and other mixes are usually using a secondary air source for inflation / bailout. this avoids large volumes of mixed gases being wasted in the inflation and deflation of a bc. If you had to purchase the mixed gas you would easily understand why people would not waste it as bouyancy gas.

After DEMA I will post a new thread on the subject elevated levels of o2 and your regulator. This will give you all a complete understanding of the process and the need for additional safety concerns to be met. thanks again and well tonight will be may last posts until after DEMA. take care and keep on posting those questions.

I know many drysuit and nitrox divers, and they do not use an alternate source for suit or BC inflation. As a matter of fact I have seen only two drysuit divers that use Ar in their suits. I have always used my main tank for the suit and BC.

If you're diving trimix, then I would understand the need for Argon since your He is going to be a big problem for thermal conductivity. I know several people who have tried Ar and feel it is more hype than help. There is certainly more cost in a bottle of Ar than in a bottle of nitrox. People diving nitrox aren't so concerned about the cost of nitrox, that a few cu ft in their suit is going to make much difference.

Again I have to ask, is there an issue with a inflator valve on a BC or drysuit that has been lubricated with hydrocarbon grease when using nitrox? It seems that if we need an O2 clean second stage for mixes below 40%, then the same must be true for these other valves as well (and for that matter your pressure gauge). If it isn't a concern, then I have to question how much of an issue it is for your second stage.

Thankyou rainreg. If you dont mind my asking rainreg what do you do for a living.

I was just about to ask exactly those Questions Merlin. Further, are the materials of full face masks also at risk of accelerated corrosion under higher pressures.

Originally posted by Aegir
An interesting thread indeed. It begs the question: why are the manufacturers not fitting all regulators with non oxidisable, or at least viton, o-rings.

I suspect that this comes down to performance. good old fashioned rubber O-rings work very well under the conditions in a reg. Different materials will behave differently when under the stress / strain that th O-rings experience under pressure. Certainly from my experience, in lab use, viton O-rings last for a shorter time than rubber ones in the same application, although that might be due to the solvents going through the machine at the time.

I would also suspect that the vast majority of regulators never go near EANx, so, for the manufacturer, it is just a case of puting in the most suitable o-rings.

Jon T

Maybe its time to ask the chemists to start looking for an alternative material for 'o'-ring EA applications. Or maybe the manufacurers are doing all that they can in this area. Perhaps someone could elaborate on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom