Hero 6 - What Settings for video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I'm new to GoPro and underwater videos. I'd appreciate pointers on settings for my Hero 6 for editing on a Mac (iMovie and perhaps FC eventually). Current settings are:

Video Format: PAL

Res: 1080
FPS: 50
FOV: Linear

PT:
Shutter: Auto
EV Comp: 0
ISO Min - Max: 100 - 1600
WB: Auto
Sharp: Med
Colour: Flat
Audio: Med

Video Stabilisation: On
Auto Low Light: Off
Manual Audio Control: Wind Only

Thanks

I am not an expert, but remember the GoPro is quite wide angle and you may wish to do some cropping in iMovie post prod, which will affect your final resolution. Hence, you may want to go for more resolution at the outset (the 6 series can do 4 K...).

Good luck!

Reactions: CWK
Hi,

I'm new to GoPro and underwater videos. I'd appreciate pointers on settings for my Hero 6 for editing on a Mac (iMovie and perhaps FC eventually). Current settings are:

Video Format: PAL

Res: 1080
FPS: 50
FOV: Linear

PT:
Shutter: Auto
EV Comp: 0
ISO Min - Max: 100 - 1600
WB: Auto
Sharp: Med
Colour: Flat
Audio: Med

Video Stabilisation: On
Auto Low Light: Off
Manual Audio Control: Wind Only

Thanks

If your not gonna use color correction, then it's probably best to leave protune alone and let the gopro figure it out.
When post processing, then protune flat, and sharpening to low is the best bet.
And if your not using a video light (a real video light, not some flashlight), turn auto low light on.
You want to set iso as low as possible, EV on 0, shutter depends a bit, with plenty of light you can go 1/120 on 60fps. With a bit low light conditions raise ISO (warning: raising ISO adds image noise) and/or raise shutter to 1/60.
If it's still too dark lower fps to 30 and shutter to 1/30.

Oh yea, set the thing to NTSC, and go with 30 or 60 fps.
setting it to PAL limits the frame rate to 25 and 50 (etc.)

And when shooting primarily for 1080p the set it to 2.7K resolution, then you can add movement stabilization in post without a penalty to your base resolution.

turn the audio stuff off. only thing you're gonna hear is your own regulator. just throw some music over it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom