Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hero3 Black shipped today,
:D:wink::D

I've got a 32gig card waiting to plug and play.......joys of Costco, SANDISK 32 gig class10, only $23 plus tax each, I should go buy more, anyone want one or three?

Peope need to read and re-read the hero3 black manual, when shooting in Pro-tune in RAW, you shouldn't be losing low light details that can't be brought back in post processing.

Read Page 22 and 36.

Hero3 black Manual here: READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://wpcdn2.gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

My hero3 Black shipped today,
:D:wink::D

I've got a 32gig card waiting to plug and play.......joys of Costco, SANDISK 32 gig class10, only $23 plus tax each, I should go buy more, anyone want one or three?

Peope need to read and re-read the hero3 black manual, when shooting in Pro-tune in RAW, you shouldn't be losing low light details that can't be brought back in post processing.

Read Page 22 and 36.

Hero3 black Manual here: READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://wpcdn2.gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

I hope that card is a micro SD not full size but I assume you already know the H3 cameras use micro not full sized cards.

---------- Post Merged on November 9th, 2012 at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was on November 8th, 2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Here is a short video from the same scene as the photos I posted earlier, slight grading in cineform studio as protune flat footage isnt the prettiest around and the purpose of those modes is to give you more control in post to push it beyond what the camera can do in full auto modes. This shows the new SRP slip on filter for the HD3 housing using a urpro cy filter at depths between 15-22m in about 15m visibility on an overcast day.

[video=youtube;PynRo0vKRFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PynRo0vKRFA[/video]

The raw cam images can be seen in the screen grabs earlier in this thread for anyone wanting to know what I started with.

I will mostly be shooting in protune and cam raw as I like to have full control over the end result, you will still get some pretty nice video shooting full auto in regular modes for those that just want to shoot and do a quick cut and transition edit.

Anyone shooting with PT will need to do some work in post or the videos will end up looking a bit too dull and flat. Filters will also help here but as with the HD2 even with the current protune firmware wb is auto and so it wont always do the best job and correcting poor awb in post is not also possible or easy if you want to try to fix it.

Thanks for the footage; that is a big improvement over my original GoPro HD!

Looks like I'll be ordering a Hero3 now....

Sometimes I do hate u Marty ... hahaha

My gp2 slip on filter just arrive today. ...
Gp3 still waiting for it to appear in sg. ...

Awesome, thanks for posting footage (and removing/replacing the filter a few times during the shoot).

Sometimes I do hate u Marty ... hahaha

My gp2 slip on filter just arrive today. ...
Gp3 still waiting for it to appear in sg. ...

I did shoot some HD2 footage too on many of these dives and it still does pretty well but gets quite a bit noisier at depths beyond 20m compared to the 3. But I shot some really cool footage with it on a couple occasions it wont be as good as the 3 but with protune on I have managed to get better quality video then I managed to shoot with the HD2 before, it will need some work in post as all protune footage will in the hero2 or 3 models when using it but Im pretty impressed with the quality.

Main advantage I see in the 3 is going to the deeper levels where light drops plus having more FPS and higher res modes also cam raw wb is a nice plus. It still wont perfome miracles and you will need to find the best ways to get the most out of it as with most cameras but the improved specs just give much more to work with.

I will post some comparisons between HD2 and HD3 to see how they go and the 2 is still a pretty cool camera just the 3 has taken it up to a new level. I will also try shoot in more modes as there are just so many options I decided to just stick to a few and try out the filters and WB options. I will try more of the modes underwater when I do one of the local piers on my own and dont have to worry about looking out for others, navigating or holding anyone else up.

---------- Post Merged at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Here are a few more screen grabs from some other dives not as deep. Still all 2.7k video grabs in cineform.

This dive was only a max 10m depth with most of it only around 5-6m with vis close to 20m away from the waves where it was reduced. These were all shot with the URPro CYD filter and some light adjustments in cineform.

Here are some lower light shots these were at just around sunset, first images are raw and second are adjusted. Some fogging happened on this dive which shows up in the edges, this was actually an issue on a couple dives. No filters just clear lens and 2x Sola 500 lights max depth was not much more then 5m here but it was actually quite dark much darker then the raw images have it.

I used GoPro antifogs cut in half and used 3 half pieces inside the housing. I will need to be a little more careful regarding fogging but air temp was quite humid 20-24c and water temp 14-16c throughout these dives.

Protune footage in lower light will always have a little bit of noise as there is no in camera noise reduction and so something like neat video will clean these up quite nicely.

Marty, thanks for posting the video with the differences in filter on and off.

Thought some of you might enjoy this slow motion Go Pro 3 Video, that came up when Marty's ended. Shows just how well the Black edition does even at its lowest settings.

[video=youtube;XZf7W8Az9qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZf7W8Az9qY[/video]

Thought some of you might enjoy this slow motion Go Pro 3 Video, that came up when Marty's ended. Shows just how well the Black edition does even at its lowest settings.

Maybe I should view my own videos back as Im sure I would have clicked on that after seeing the preview pic. :D

240p is pretty cool you just need good amounts of light as the fast shutter speed will struggle in any sort of low light. Outdoors in the sun with girls in Bikini's having a shower works great though.

[video=youtube;XZf7W8Az9qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZf7W8Az9qY[/video]

WOW! Just look at that dog!

- Bill

A friend of mine told me that the new GoPro 3 Black edition has WB capabilities. Now I'm use to doing WB where I have a slate/card with me on a dive, pointing the camcorder at the slate, and pressing the WB button to reset WB. Does the new GP3 Black edition have this ability or are we talking about something else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom