Hey Aqua Lung, Wake Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I purchased some gear a few months ago and have about 50 dives on it. That is not a lot of dives. Since Aqua Lung is buying companies, I think they need to start looking at some quality control or re-evaluating the quality of their products.

1) On a recent boat dive, at the end of the day I went to remove my weight pouches and the plastic handle snapped right off. This is a 6 month old SeaQuest Black Diamond with 16 pound weight pouches. Bear in mind I only place a single 2 pound weight on each side so what gives with that. It is not like I was loaded with lots of weight. The BC is rarely in the sun and I am a little PO'd because that model BC was not cheap. I have found out that these plastic handles on the "Sure-Lock" system may just have a problem breaking.

2) Vyper Air with wireless transmitter. When I first got it we would get a FAIL signal frequently after pairing it up and using it. That finally cleared. A frequent dive buddy has the same and had a problem with his which was sent back to Suunto. They fixed it but told him there was "trauma" to the transmitter. Now I am having the same problem and it won't work at all. Now, I like the transmitter because of the data in the computer program and have an SPG as a backup so with or without it I am diving. The transmitter is located facing down on my 1st stage so it is hidden and not subject to getting hit.

Again, to have equipment break down after approximately 50 dives is pretty pathetic if you ask me. None of this equipment was cheap and so the old saying "you get what you pay for" should not apply.

Whining because as a consumer I had higher expectations for the price pay for this gear.

We're sorry to hear about your weight pocket. While it is our goal to make unbreakable products, sometimes things happen. We would be interested in seeing this broken pocket and better understanding the method of breakage. The reason you can feel good about your Aqua Lung purchase is that we cover such mishaps to original owners that purchased their equipment through an authorized dealership. Please take it to your AQ dealer so that we can get it replaced for you.

Regarding the Vyper Air, whenever the link between the transmitter and receiver is broken, it flashes the word "FAIL". That does not mean that the computer has failed, only the link. This can be the result of several different things. I encourage you to take a look at our FAQs at Aqua Lung - Recreational and Professional Diving Gear and it is addressed in detail.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr.
Aqua Lung

I will update the board on the status of the warranty procedure.

The weight pockets were returned to the dealer today and 2 new ones have been ordered at no charge. There is a very clear difference between the color of the handles with the one that has broken being of a darker color. I am told it will be sent back to the manufacturer to look at it.

The transmitter has been returned and the dealer is going to take it apart and look at it. No charges as of yet for that.

My issue is that this equipment is relatively new, approximately 6 months old, stored out of the sunlight and had approximately 50 dives on it. The gear is very well taken care of and has been used in dives from an air temp of 20F and a water temp of 34F to an air temp of 88F and a water temp of 78F.

The weight pocket handle issue is of a very serious concern since the purpose of them is to be able to remove them in an emergency. Something as potentially serious as this should have been better engineered. I am not very confident in the weight pockets working when needed. This is sort of like a having an airbag in a car fail during a head on collision. With the price of gear today there is no reason for issues like this to happen on life support equipment.

I can only hope that I don't have any unexpected surprises with my Apeks XTX200 regulator.

I've been quite happy with my Aqualung products (Balance BC, a HelO2 & a Vyper Air). The only issue I've had was the plastic triangle shaped connector for the harness components of my BC broke while I was diving in the Galapagos islands. I was able to get it to work for the trip, using some zip ties. Wearing a drysuit, I had to wear considerable amount of weight in both the BC (24#) & on a weight belt (16#). When I got back, the BC was sent off by my dealer & a metal connection was sewn in. It was shipped back to me very quickly (within 3 weeks). The quick release weights had no problems carrying 8 lbs each throughout the week, & these had to be removed & re-inserted numerous times throught the day.

I have also had some problems from the Vyper Air losing the transmitter link from time to time. It is no more a problem than going into the menu to reset it. Since I also have a back- up SPG (that I use most of the time anyway), a lot of the time I don't even bother.

Your issue with the weight pocket handles seems to be an oddity. Let's face it,.. sometimes things can slip by. I know the weight pockets built into the most up- to- date Aqualung BC's are a lot beefier & easier to re- insert.

Well the vyper is a suunto product, which aqualung sells in the US but does not make.

Again, to have equipment break down after approximately 50 dives is pretty pathetic if you ask me. None of this equipment was cheap and so the old saying "you get what you pay for" should not apply.

Whining because as a consumer I had higher expectations for the price pay for this gear.

**** happens, but your experience is far from being a trend and it sounds like you're being treated as fairly as possible, no?

Keep in mind, the issue could have originated with the LDS which sold you the rig. If there was anything defective, it should have been caught at the shop when they set things up and did a final inspection.

In my experience, AL does not sell **** product and has excellent customer service. Of course, their service and product are only as good as the LDS that supports it.

Still, a frustrating situation and I feel your pain.

The weight pockets were returned to the dealer today and 2 new ones have been ordered at no charge. There is a very clear difference between the color of the handles with the one that has broken being of a darker color. I am told it will be sent back to the manufacturer to look at it.

Agree with *Dave*, it sounds like you are being treated fairly. As much as we would like things to not break while they're still 'new', doodoo occurs. It sounds like it was a material failure . . . Since you don't hear others complaining of the same, you can have faith that you are a rarity.

Unfortunately equipment manufacturers get some components from vendors and have less control over the quality and responsiveness of the vendor. In many cases there isn't much choice in vendors, and it seems for some components it comes down to Cheap Chinese Junk Company A or Cheap Chinese Junk Company B, which happens to be located at or near the same location. Unfortunately, some of these vendors don't follow the exact manufacturer specifications.

I am being treated fairly by my LDS. No question there. Please keep in mind that this is life support equipment and I am expecting a higher standard of quality than what I got. When a company purchases others, they are branding themselves into the new acquisition. The transmitter issue may simply be a batter gone bad early. Who knows? The BC is a complete disappointment for the cost and the hype that came with the marketing.

Agree with Dave, Jax, etal. High quality, great customer service.
Life is life and stuff happens. Fortunately in their stuff, it's a very minor probability like winning the Power Ball Lottery.

As for the transmitter, remember it is electronics (think about how reliable your cellphone signal is on land, in buildings, traveling, etc.) now add salt water...'nuff said. Like Tammy I keep a back-up SPG and get on with my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom