Hey! From Perth, AUS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I learnt to dive, trained as a DM and worked as a guide for ~12 months in SEAsia. Most days on the boat were as benign as diving a fish bowl. Now I'm back home in Perth, Western Australia.

Learning to dive in colder, choppier conditions with about 20m less viz has been a healthy challenge and I'm keen to sharpen up and get with the times.

Anyone in Perth who can give me the lowdown and teach me how to dive like a local, get in touch!

(I'm also on the lookout for any jobs afloat or ashore...)

hey mate im in perth, work FIFO and dive regularly on my weeks off. i dive mostly the 5 fathom bank and the back of garden island. ive only done a handful of shore dives since my OW course as i find shore dives and anything above 15-18m in perth incredibly boring. the metro area is pretty heavily fished out so sealife is pretty scattered. out deeper on the 5 fathom bank and around rotto its much much better. plenty of crays still around, and with no set season its a good excuse to dive all year round!

Step 1 in diving like a local -

Take a drive to woodman point car park on a 36c day. Gear up in car park. Fix eye firmly on top of Sandhills of death and begin the long and winding walk. Ignore the two or three ice creams you will end up wearing from kids tearing up and down running past. There is an end to LWP and there is water on the other side. Hop in water. Turn around and eye off sand dune of death. Start doing calculations on monthly repayments for boat purchase. Purchase boat, enjoy rotto, 5 fathom banks etc etc. Worth checking out D9 at the moment for the cutest little baby port jacksons....spend rest of disposable income on maintenance, fuel, bigger boat.

I hate shore diving too - but I force myself to do Ammo and Grain jetties sometimes. Welcome :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom