Hey I am glad to be on this site now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey my name is Michael George. I grew up in West Texas. I am a senior in college working on a psychology degree. I realized it would be much more cost effective if I finished my degree and any schooling after that online while living in Utila Honduras. I am dovemastering in my frien’s diveshop and enjoying life!

Here comes the rub. When I moved down here I was on my parents insurance policy and just got my own Dan policy. Now I am about to age out of their coverage and need to find so health insurance for my self. Does anyone know any good expat insurance companies? Is there a thread on here I should follow? My instructor friend said this site can help me.

Good to have you here. I hope you get a lot out of the board. With regard to your insurance, try Travel Nomads.

Edit, sorry, that should probably be World Nomads

Welcome! Before you shop for your own insurance, make sure that you can no longer get coverage under a parent's plan. The Affordable Care Act of 2010 allows children to remain covered by a parent until they are 26 years old, see the link below.

Young adult insurance quandary: Stay with parents, or go it alone? - NBC News

The problem occurs when the parent's insurance plan requires the use of a local network of providers - but since you've been covered so far that doesn't sound like it would be an issue for you. Your parent's doctor's office will have an insurance department, so they could start by asking them for advice. Their employers will also probably have a benefits office that they could ask.

Whatever you do - make sure that you have coverage! A young relative of our family recently turned 26 and was no longer covered by her parent's policy. She was living away from home and working in a job that didn't have health benefits and felt that she couldn't afford insurance even though she had a history of asthma - a very bad decison.

She had an asthma attack and was afraid to go to the hospital without insurance. She tried to drive herself to the pharmacy but passed out in the car. She was unconscious with her phone in her hand when the police found her and she died soon after in the hospital. It was a terrible and avoidable tragedy. I don't mean to scare you, but it really is an important issue.

There's a diving medicine forum on this site and perhaps someone can advise you there, see link below:
Diving Medicine

Good luck!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Sorry can't give advice on insurance as I don't really know that market too well.

Back
Top Bottom