Hey lets get this section going!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any good stories or pics of a spearfishing trip? Would love to hear some!!!
From a few weeks ago... DB and Puff were on the trip. Ultimate Getaway, Dry Tortugas.

P1010008.jpg

P1010002.jpg

I shot another okay sized black, but he tore off the shaft. Luckily, one of the other folks found him. Here's the fish pile at the end of the trip from me and Captain Jason.

P1010016.jpg

Just got a flounder today. There was a bunch on the bridge span were I went to, but I only wanted to clean one.
Too bad this didn't happened last weekend, here in Panama City Beach it was the Flounder tournament, and I get the feeling this one could've made it on the top 3.

Thats a very nice Gulf Flattie! Reminds me my days in Destin. The first cool evenings brought the big flatties to some pretty shallow spots. The destin bridge rubble "eaststack" was one of my favorites The largest flattie i took from there weighed in just shy of 7and a half pounds. Biggest flounder I have ever personally seen.
Good Times.

Would that even be sporting? Us sit 50 yards offshore and wait till the deer come down to drink...lol

No, but it would be sporting if we hid in the shallows and waited for them to come down to drink and then sprang out, clamping down on their necks with our powerful jaws and draging them off to a watery grave. Wouldn't it?

No, but it would be sporting if we hid in the shallows and waited for them to come down to drink and then sprang out, clamping down on their necks with our powerful jaws and draging them off to a watery grave. Wouldn't it?

That's not sporting... sporting is where you give them training in using a spear gun, arm them and make it a fair fight.

Flounder are not difficult to spear, but I would doubt that any spearing or any hunting is actually "sporting", unless you are talking using your bare hands and taking down a large deer with antlers.

On that issue, laying on the bottom, and jumping up to eat some unsuspecting passing fish is not very sporting either..

Well I don't know about others, but I'm not into sports of any kind. My diving is not a sport. When I get a fish, crustacean, mask, plastic bag, anchor, momofilament or whatever I may bring up to the boat is not a sport either.
The only difference is on what I do with the stuff I find; I may eat it, put it on the dive-stuff pile or boat-stuff pile, throw it to the trash or give it to someone else.

Well I don't know about others, but I'm not into sports of any kind. My diving is not a sport. When I get a fish, crustacean, mask, plastic bag, anchor, momofilament or whatever I may bring up to the boat is not a sport either.
The only difference is on what I do with the stuff I find; I may eat it, put it on the dive-stuff pile or boat-stuff pile, throw it to the trash or give it to someone else.

Would agree, I think it is called hunter/gather... not sporty.

Not really very "sporting" to take a lobster by hand... Or pick up scallops (ok, they can swim, but it is not that fair a fight).

I think I recall seeing some pretty big bugs taken by the hand of Ana.

Yes you probably have, I do like those creatures.
Here are a couple of examples, the one caught at work went back in the water; the other set, laying on my kitchen counter became several meals.

Attachments

• byHand.JPG
    byHand.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 24
  • byHandToo.JPG
    byHandToo.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 27
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom