Hey SCUBA gear heads - best regulator for under $1,000 = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it is false that a high-performance piston reg needs to be tuned often to maintain that level of performance for which one presumably spent a lot of money? That is indeed what I was told.

yes what you are told is false, and I dont sell pistons

I dive a very inexpensive Mares piston reg (the same my local shop rents) in water averaging 42F (Great Lakes) depths to 120 ft and have never had any issues with it. I don't know how it breathes compared to any other reg but it's not difficult. I also am not sure how many people sell and service Mares in the US compared to the other name brands.

I am curious. Why would a piston first stage need "often tuning" to maintain performance?

My Sherwoods are very simple. The only first stage "tuning" I am aware of would be to remove or add a shim if the IP drifted too high or too low. Essentially you are compensating for the spring providing too much or too little force. As it ages, I assume the spring may start to weaken and not provide enough force - so you eventually might need to add a shim. My 30 year old regs are still using the factory configured shims (2 of the allowed 3).

Maybe I am missing something?

I do realize that my regs are not Ferrari's. Do Ferrari piston regs have more fiddly bits?

I think there is an urban myth ( and there might be a grain of truth to it ) The Mk5 is harder on the seat due to the knife edge design of the piston and less contact area compared to a flow by Mk2 type design or maybe even a diaphragm design. I hear that all the time from newer divers that are well meaning in their thinking about reg design.

For my part, I'd take a Mk2 anywhere I'd take my Mk5 or 25

The fact remains and is self evident in the design that a double hose reg, especially a Kraken or. Phoenix RAM (e.g.) is head and shoulders above a single hose for comfort and aesthetics and comparable mechanically as ANY single hose -

Poseidon Jetstream Mk3 for a single hose

Argonaut Kraken for double hose -

that's almost where I'd personally go *probably go to Xstream personally*, just not necessarily what I'd recommend since the servo valves breathe quite different than most people are used to. I love them, my dive buddy said he'd rather drown than exit a cave on one...

That is almost what I do (Xstream seconds on MK-2 firsts as my Tech rig)...

Yeah, Ford vs Chevy as these type of threads go. I do like how the Jetstream Mk3 now has the PRV in the first stage instead of the second stage hose assembly - that saves a few dollars. Still though, it would be kind of hard to "trade up" from a Poseidon and as for the Kraken or PRAM - who wouldn't like to dive without a second stage hanging out of their mouth? :) - Works for me!

I think there is an urban myth ( and there might be a grain of truth to it ) The Mk5 is harder on the seat due to the knife edge design of the piston and less contact area compared to a flow by Mk2 type design or maybe even a diaphragm design. I hear that all the time from newer divers that are well meaning in their thinking about reg design.
Understood. So "tuning" really means seat replacement? I over looked that as the seat is part of the standard service kit for my first stage. So I think of the seat as a replaceable part like orings. Nothing to tune, just replace as required (or flip it over...)

Understood. So "tuning" really means seat replacement? I over looked that as the seat is part of the standard service kit for my first stage. So I think of the seat as a replaceable part like orings. Nothing to tune, just replace as required (or flip it over...)

No, not really. Tuning is adjusting the IP of the 1st (usually not needed but you may want to bring it back into the center of the range or go lower for very cold water use). The tuning is usually focused on returning the cracking pressure of the 2nd stage to 1-1.5" of water. DYI'ers usually go for a minimum and use the spring pressure on the adjuster knob to handle any over tune (air dribble after you stop breathing) or when swimming into heavy current. Seat replacement isn't generally needed unless you can't achieve the nominal cracking pressure

Whats the best regulator for me to buy?

One of mine. :) .......but if you're looking for a new reg set, contact Bryan OWIC647 or at www.vintagedoublehose.com He has just begun selling a new line of single hose regulators that is comparable to any other high end mentioned in this thread. As I recall from another thread of yours, you are looking for a wing setup-he also has wings available at a great price, and a backplate designed for single tank diving (unlike most of the backplates available today that are designed for doubles.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom