Hi Everyone. Do you keep a hand written dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ck1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to diving. I looked for the answer to the following question but I didn't get a "comfortable" answer to my concern. I can explain later, but here is my question: I have a Suunto Cobra 2 computer. Can I just print the logs out and add stuff to it or do dive resorts and shops want to see signatures, etc? Is it necessary to have a written dive log for the courses only so the instructors/masters can sign off? What about when I go to Cozumel, Bonaire, etc? While i was looking for this answer, I came across some threads about ear problems and other stuff. This site rocks. Unfortunately I think I'll be reading more than posting b/c I'm new...hahaha:cwmddd:

I just keep one to record my dives, gear configuration, which buddy to avoid :evil: etc..

I've only been asked for it once, on a liveaboard in the Red Sea, Egypt.

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard!

most dive op will be interested to know when was your most recent dive (how long have you been out of water before showing up); plus what has been your max depth. whatever way is OK for most of them, even showing off on your computer screen.

Hand writing worked great until I hit 100 dives. Now I used a google docs spreadsheet to log my dives and print it out before going on a trip. Now I get about 100 divers per page instead of 1 dive per page.

Oh ok. Just to let you know, I thought this post didn't come thru and posted a similar one under the meet and greet section. That's a newbie for you I guess. Anyway, I had a dive instructor telling me to always have a written log, but 1/2 of the shop he is out of says that's one of the benefits of the computer when I bought it. When I told him what I was told, and I really would like to use the benefits of an $800 computer (if I can), he kinda snapped at me. I just don't want to go somewhere and say my "documentation" isn't good enough.

I just don't want to go somewhere and say my "documentation" isn't good enough.
Check with them before booking. :)

A comp only puts out dive details. It does not record the amount of weight you used, what you saw, how your trim was and how much you enjoyed the dive. It also does not record what type of suit you wore, where you dove, and who your buddy was. So yeah I keep a handwritten log. In fact I sold the download cable for my comp. That's how much I used it.

Oh ok. Just to let you know, I thought this post didn't come thru and posted a similar one under the meet and greet section. That's a newbie for you I guess. Anyway, I had a dive instructor telling me to always have a written log, but 1/2 of the shop he is out of says that's one of the benefits of the computer when I bought it. When I told him what I was told, and I really would like to use the benefits of an $800 computer (if I can), he kinda snapped at me. I just don't want to go somewhere and say my "documentation" isn't good enough.

Me thinks you might possibly want to consider shopping around for a new dive instructor!

Right. I have this idea I could come home after jotting a few notes on paper after a dive and enter that info in the dive program I have. There are places for that stuff in the program. I would just print them out which will appear in the dive profile and stuff them in a binder. El Orans brought up a good point for me. That particular instructor just used a spiral notebook. The SSI logbook I have is out of blank pages. I want to go to a system that will stay constant for me. If I do this, in ya'lls experience will people have a problem (generally) when I call ahead? I know nothing is foolproof, but it does me no good later to call if what I am doing will be no good.

I have kept a written log book, it has 50 pages in it so I am planning to stop logging dives after I reach 50 dives (so probably next week :p). I have my computer (which uploads my dive data to my computer) and also I use http://www.diverecord.com to record all the extra bits like stuff I saw, buddy comments, etc. It's a really great site. If I am ever required to show records of my dive I can print from either of those records.

I don't know why your instructor snapped at you :confused:, it isn't like a log book means much other than as a personal record. People can forge them if they really want and it would be hard to prove that they hadn't done the dives...

Edit: soz just saw your last post about if there could be any problems. With SSI, for AOW you need 24 logged dives, and for Master you need 50 and Dive Con 60 (I think) so if you are planning to go for any of them, the store might need to see a written record, but yea again printing your computer dives would be better than a book as it shows exactly what type of dives you have done. So I wouldn't stress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom