Hi Everyone. Do you keep a hand written dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a Oceanic VT3 and it's Oceanlog software.
I print the logs and keep them in a binder.
Within the software there is a place for notes on equipment and site details, pictures and divebuddy info. Once a buddy's info is in the log it just take clicking on their name to add them to any log. I just use a best effort to add info. Sometimes that is just a first name but with others I have full name, address, tel#, Certification#.
The software can keep track of dive operators or my instructors the same way.
Signatures are not really needed since logging is for your own needs and even though some higher certs a a dive number requirement they don't have any requirements for log signatures.

What I have been doing up until now is what RadRob said. Everytime I finished a dive, I would log stuff down and I can't say I regret it. I do look back at my logs and for now, I feel like I can relive my dive to Cozumel. I know I need a lot of practice in my navigation skills and using my computer, so drawing out where I'm at underwater seems pretty advanced for me right now. My intention (correct me if I'm off base here) is to keep a running and up to date logbook and print all my dives from my computer. I'll make notes about the dives immediately after them. It's the signing of each dive I think concerns me.

Man, there is really no way you can remember seeing some of the stuff unless you take a shot of it or write it down. It's so fun you can get overwhelmed with all you see and do.

ck1, I have kept a running written dive log since the begining. I have had it signed by instructors and students. I have fun letting people sign it and look at it. I enjoy signing others log books as well. This is a great way to remember where you have been. I look at my log book during the winter months to remind myself of the great dive summer I had.

One truth I have learned though, is that no one looks at your log book unless you are looking to dive with a unique operation. Now I am not saying I agree with this, just an observation. I have had several dive shops look at my log book to determine my experience on more advanced dives to make sure I am really qualified. If I had not been keeping this up to date, I would still have dived but, not the special dives where they will only take people who have enough experience to do the more advanced dives.

So i guess what I am saying, keeping a log book is actually to your benifit. If you choose not to keep one, it will not hurt your dive life. But you may not go on those special dives. If you down load it out of your computer and place this in your log book, it does count. You do lose the fun of having a person sign it.

Finally, if you ever think to advance your carrer, then keeping a good log book will be necassary as dive agency's must verify your dive history. I hope this helps.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to diving. I looked for the answer to the following question but I didn't get a "comfortable" answer to my concern. I can explain later, but here is my question: I have a Suunto Cobra 2 computer. Can I just print the logs out and add stuff to it or do dive resorts and shops want to see signatures, etc? Is it necessary to have a written dive log for the courses only so the instructors/masters can sign off? What about when I go to Cozumel, Bonaire, etc? While i was looking for this answer, I came across some threads about ear problems and other stuff. This site rocks. Unfortunately I think I'll be reading more than posting b/c I'm new...hahaha:cwmddd:

Hi,

I have never been asked for my logbook. But I keep a handwritten log for one simple reason, for myself: after a while I don't remember individual dives except for the ones that really stand out. But when I flip through my logbook I can practically relive each dive. A little description just makes it pop back into my head.

So my advice is, keep a one that serves you.

Safe diving,
D.

I have a Suunto Cobra and I no longer keep hand written logs. I just print out my profile after each dive and I write the details of the dive in the Comments section of the Suunto Dive Manager.

I keep a written log with nasic info only just in case i need it someday but i use a pro 2 comp uploaded to pc. Its all about backup i guess. If they wont let you on the boat without it then i'll just pass them at 50mph in the Good Ship Grease....thats another backup :mooner:

I keep my electronic log on my computer.. I have been considering printing them out and keeing them in a binder since I tend to elaborate more on that than my written log, which is just a record of place depth dive time and whatever else I feel like writing in there (such as if I'm on a trip, I make notes of highlights so I don't forget things on my e-log)

I only take my written log on trips.

Last edited:
You don't have to have your log signed by your buddy unless you want to. We have a local site that reviews your logbook and interviews you before allowing you to do a deep dive. Appropriate experience, not autographs, is what they are looking for.

Get yourself a nice report binder and keep your computer printouts along with your notes about the dives in there. Heck, make a nice, fancy official looking cover for it if you want. A dive log is YOUR record of YOUR dives and there are hundreds of variations of dive logs out there. Don't sweat it :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

I love Oceanic's OceanLog.

I've used it since my first Open Water dive, and even before I had upload capacity, I manually entered dives.

Now, with the VT3, and previously, with the Geo, most of the stuff gets filled in automatically. All I do is fill in comments like I would in the written log. The only forseeable problem I have with the computer software (which is why I keep a written AND a computer log) is that if I switch to a different PDC manufacturer in the future, it almost certainly will not be compatible with OceanLog. (I LOVE Oceanic, so the odds are low, but never say never, right?)

It's easy to print out my OceanLog history, much easier when you consider I can query the database of dives to find the one I want.

However, being a graduate student in Computers/Communications (I know - what a help for Police Work, shut up about it) I also know how reliable my Windows computer is. About as much so as a Firestone re-tread :p. I have my log backed up to a thumb-drive and to another computer, but the possiblity exists that I could be somewhere and not be able to reproduce it, or lose it in transit, or get it wet, you name it.

My written log is in a waterproof binder that stays with my dive bag. In fact it's attached to it. I have to remove the pages to write in them.

I also like the social aspect of the written log. When I do computer logs I sit at home at my desk by myself punching in numbers. The written one usually occurs shortly after the dive over a beer or pizza while we discuss the dive and record details from the computer screens.

I like the idea of having a computer log, however I have enough dives that I would take a considerable amount of time putting them into a computer now. On the other hand over the last 3 decades I have lost 3 logbooks due to moving/misplacing them. I guess it is a tradeoff of sorts. I had a lightning strike near my home about 9 months ago that completely fried my TV and my computer. Total meltdown on both and I lost everything in the computer. Fortunately I had CD backups. I guess the message is if you are going to use a computer...be sure you have current backups, and don't think that the 25 dollar surge protector you get at Office Depot is going to do a thing for you. Ended up buying a rather expensive protector that routes all power and internet connections through it.

Back
Top Bottom