Hi from a complete newbie in Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just signed up here and thought I would say hello.

No dive experience (apart from a 2 hr trial dive) but definitely wanting to do more.

Just trying to figure out the best way about it atm.

Got a weeks holiday in Aug so tempted to just book a holiday and sign up with a dive school wherever I go. Either that or sign up with a club over the winter and take my time learning.

Decisions decisions

Neil

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA.....

Welcome to Scuba Board Neilwood! I'm unfamiliar with anything in Scotland. If you are looking for somewhere to vacation in August, I could probably get you an Open Water class scheduled in Roatan. PM me if you would like some details.

Scotland has some great diving: St Abbs is awesome, for example. So I would recommend joining a club.

I am with a BSAC club, which is a great way of learning and getting on trips. I can't comment on other organisations, but there are alternatives such as PADI and SSAC clubs. It's worth meeting a few of the members before joining to see that you get along.

Just signed up here and thought I would say hello.

No dive experience (apart from a 2 hr trial dive) but definitely wanting to do more.

Just trying to figure out the best way about it atm.

Got a weeks holiday in Aug so tempted to just book a holiday and sign up with a dive school wherever I go. Either that or sign up with a club over the winter and take my time learning.

Decisions decisions

Neil
Hi Neil,

I'm the Diving Officer of BSAC Fyne-divers Sub-Aqua Club and the Hon Sec of BSAC.

You're welcome to give me a call one evening (07800 590112).

A club isn't going to train you by August, even a School might not have any spaces now the Scottish holidays have started.

Using your holiday to learn is a good option. And depending on where you go will influence the agency choices.

Scottish waters are world class diving.

kind regards

Well I made the decision - doing my PADI OW with the Diving Centre in Newcastle over approximately a week (it will pretty much be 1 on 1 so I should get a good grounding in the skills). They seemed like one of the few places that would do the training when I was free. Looked at a lot of others and it seemed like they were only teaching at weekends (particularly the weekends I was busy!)

Thanks for the info Edward, I might be looking at BSAC once I have qualified (it just didn't fit with wanting to "scratch the itch" right now). I have heard from a lot of sources that, despite the cold, we do have some awesome diving here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom