Hi from a new desert scuba diver-in-training with gear questions :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello again. Thanks again for all the advice. I ended up researching all kinds of stuff online but realized that yeah I was just going to have to go into a store and buy some stuff that fit :) And once I'm in a store, seems I can never seem to find the stuff I researched online, or I just get so overwhelmed o_0 that I forget.

Decided to go to Sports Authority, partly because I had a gift card from a previous returned item. Anyway, they had a lot of options for fins and masks that looked nice but were lower priced than the ones I saw in the dive shop. In fact the most expensive fins were AquaLung Slingshot's that were $187 and had some kind of elastic bands in them - looked pretty cool though. Seemed like there were several things that could malfunction however :/

Anyway I decided that since I don't know what I'm doing I would try to keep the purchases for my son and I in a reasonable price range. And, to my great joy, they were having a 25% off anything ending in a price of '3' sale. As it turned out the masks and fins we liked fell into this range.

I asked the sales guy, who was very helpful and informative, about the split fins - he said those were good for people who didn't have super strong legs and such but he liked stiffer fins because he felt he got more power per kick. I felt my son and I fit into this category as we're great swimmers. So we didn't worry about split fins or what not and kept it simple.

Here's what we ended up getting:

For my 13 year old son, ~5'2

Tusa Imprex TRi-Ex Fins (S) -- any chance these are too small for him?
$52.45: $84.93 - $21.23(sale)

Sherwood Magnum Ex Clear Mask
$33.70: $44.93 - $11.23(sale)

Deep See Caribbean Boot, 10
$29.99 (no sale)

For myself (6')
Cressi Frog Plus Fins
$67.45: $89.93 - $22.48(sale)

Superview Oceanways "HD" Black Silicone Mask (no purge - is this bad?)
$52.45: $69.93 - $17.48 (sale)

Deep See Caribbean Boot, 11
$29.99 (no sale)

What are your thoughts on this gear?

Anything I should turn around and return before we get in the pool for the first time?

One thing that concerns me is that his '10' boot seems a little too big for the 'small' fin. When I put on my boots and fins, the boots fit in real snug - only a fraction of an inch of the boot extends out the back. With his, it seems like there is 1-2 inches of the boot sticking out the back (see picture)- does this mean the boots and fins are mismatched? Are smalls too small for him?

Also, I had to resist the urge to buy those Slingshots. At 25% off they weren't much worse than internet pricing (I see they're at leisurepro for $124.95). Will I be kicking myself, metaphorically, for going for the cheaper option? Or is the difference not really that huge for a good swimmer who won't be diving every week?

All in all, I was pretty happy to get what seemed like decent gear for a total of about $300, including tax after my initial sticker shock. Appreciate all the advice here!

Thanks!

Not that it matters - because it really doesn't, but the Sherwood mask is discontinued now. I like masks like it that have the extended side viewing - you see more things coming out of the corner of your eye. It and everything else is fine, it's all dive gear and all works. Most dive masks typically don't have a purge but both can be used for diving - it's personal preference.

I almost suggested the Tusa Imprex fins in my PM to you (or maybe I did?) The Cressi's are a good brand also, one of the original 1950's scuba mfr's. I like the Frogs, they've been around for a while in various models. I bought a few pairs online for a school once and they seemed well-designed and solid - had never held one before that. IIRC I liked the buckle design better than some I'd seen.

The other fins were likely Aqualung Slingshots since Sport Chalet is an Aqualung dealer. IMO it's just the latest gimmick but I have no personal exp. with them. They're also $125 online at LeisurePro should you want to try them. What happens if you break a band diving? IDK...

Paddle fins require more work but have the advantage of being much more maneuverable. You can learn kicks in them you can't do in split fins - also they're much easier to back up in - that's hard to do in split-fins. If you plan to do any sort of cave, wreck, penetration diving the paddle fins are optimal. You'll never see a cave diver with split fins unless they have medical issues.

Otoh, personally in fast swimming, I can out kick any of my friends over longer distances using split-fins, many of who do regular gym work and are in better shape than me, but it's a different style of kick that I had to learn. I'd suggest you use what you bought and trade with someone on a boat for a dive if you want to try them. In my immediate circle of dive buddies - about 10 of us - we use both equally. Also the Tusa Xpert-Zoom's - I have them and they've been a standard for a few years - are $100 online or less.

The only thing you may want to check on is how thick are the boots? Since they're "Caribbean" - if they're 3MM you're going to have cold feet at Pleasant but they'll be good if you travel to the Mexico/the Caribbean/Hawaii etc. from here. If you dive in SoCal, your feet are going to always be cold in a 3MM. Even in the summer in SoCal I used 7MM boots. And I don't get cold easily.

Fins/boots I buy for best price, they're not likely to break and if you're a standard foot size they work.

Don't worry about any of it, in 5 years you'll have replaced it all anyway with what you "really wanted"....LOL We all do.

Last edited:
Snorkel fine. Mask no if it;s not tempered glass and if you haven't tried on even a cheap dive quality mask you'll likely be surprised at how much more comfortable the skirt is and how much better it fits. The fins? Nah. Ok for surface stuff but as TS&M said, not good for scuba. You have to move too much more mass.

Not to mention that you are going to find out that boots are your friend and open heel fins a better choice. Closed heels will work in some cases but you can't walk in them and there may be times you're climbing over sharp rock or walking over very hot sand. With 60 pounds or more of gear on your back. Open heel fins and boots. Fins like these would work:
Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services
or these
Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

Not crazy expensive and a good starter fin for scuba. Good for snorkeling as well.
At Lake Pleasant, it is sharp gravel and stickers everywhere. I can not imagine trying to walk barefoot here with dive gear.
Welcome to the board, Scubadudaz! And to diving in AZ!
i agree with Jim and TSandM. They won't steer you wrong. My first two sets of gear were used but I purchased a new mask. Several, actually, as I had a hard time finding one that fit and that I liked. Finally found the Atomic Aquatics mask, after 17 years of diving!

I will suggest against buying mask without first trying for fit. It is OK to buy online if you have tried it, if not, chances are they don't fit you well. Even if that means go into LDS pay a little extra. Also, don't worry about brand and what the sales recomment. Try on every mask in your LDS, pick the one that fit the best.

The only thing you may want to check on is how thick are the boots? Since they're "Caribbean" - if they're 3MM you're going to have cold feet at Pleasant but they'll be good if you travel to the Mexico/the Caribbean/Hawaii etc. from here. If you dive in SoCal, your feet are going to always be cold in a 3MM. Even in the summer in SoCal I used 7MM boots. And I don't get cold easily.

Good point. Just checked and yes they are 3mm. I liked that they had nice hard soles and cost half as much. Wasn't thinking as much about how many mm as I should have been then. I already have some 2mm dive socks, and so does my son. Was thinking of maybe wearing the socks with the boots to boost the warmth factor. But if you're saying 7mm boots are best for AZ diving and socal diving, then that's probably the way to go. Thanks, really appreciate the info.

With the socks I think you'll be ok - here. In SoCal I'd go for 7MM's. The clearer diving there is in winter when the cold kills off the algae - it can be high 50's at depth. Kind of depends on your cold tolerance also. If you plan to dive in San Carlos in the summer, the water there reaches mid-80's - I wore a t-shirt there once mid-Oct. But I never get cold, my buddies were in 3-5mil. by then.

I think you will be perfectly happy with the fins you got, and if you decide to change later, it won't be to Slingshots. The simpler you keep dive gear, the more likely it is that what you have will always be in working order!

By the same token, I don't like masks with purge valves. It's not that hard to clear a regular mask, and purge valves are a potential leak point.

Thanks guys. I have the same feeling about the fins. Got compliments on them from a master dive instructor and another student. They're not fancy but they're big and reliable :)

Thanks for the suggestion on the boots. I returned those and got the primo ones my dive shop is selling for $70, 6mm with a nice thick sole. Don't want cold feet! :)

Hi Scubadudeaz, Sounds like you need some help. 1st of all do you know any divers who could help you check out the used gear. There are some good deals but be very carefull on craiglist or any where else. The gear may look good but could be outdated or even damage. Go on line to the scuba stores and check there prices to get and idea of prices. Just google scuba stores. But if you buy used gear take a experiance diver with you. This sport isn't cheep, I live in Washington State and have about $6000.00 in gear but I been diving for 20 years. Good luck . DennisDiver1

Welcome Scubadudeaz, a great adventure awaits. Be very careful if you decide to purchase used tanks, especially the older Luxfer aluminum 80's. There has been a recall and some dive shops won't fill tanks over 20 yrs old. Most are being dumped on Ebay. I use USD Cozumel mask and snorkel purchased at Bass Pro for a savings of about $20. I assume you will be buying a computer soon, a must for sport diving, I use Oceanic, only one button and pretty simple to use, you can also download your dive profile, a must for the Caribbean. I have been certified since 1974 and have watched prices, and equipment change radically over the years. The best advice I could give is own your own regulator and BC then no matter what, your familiar with your essential gear. Tanks you can rent. Don't rent regulators.... Just remember diving is not a competition, it is to be enjoyed, wish you all the best..... and dive safe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom