Hi from Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D :smileysto :D :bonk:
Well, there isn't a mall, I don't think that the McDonalds has a playland, and there isn't anything on earth, much more fun for kids than duck poop!:D

I'd say pimp out the artwork and shopping in Santa Fe to your wife, only problem will be getting her to come back to pick you up in BH. She'll be too busy shopping like mine was.

robanna:
BTW, what non-diving/kid friendly things are there to do around Blue Hole?
That might help sway the wife.

HERE is a link to Santa Rosa's website.

I think they are selling Santa Rosa a bit short in the summer. The campground is NICE. The duck pond is not as bad as I think people make it sound, then again, I don't swim there! :D There are other lakes in the area where you can boat, fish, waterski, and basically do water STUFF. I'm very sure there are some worthwhile hikes in the area, but I don't have first hand experience.

What Santa Rosa does NOT have? Movie theater, shopping, or really even very good food in general. In the summer however most Hotels have a pool, and diving is half about the people AT the dive spot as you spend MOST of your time NOT in the water.

Santa Fe is NOT a short drive away. LIke 2+ hours, so don't sell the trip to your wife as an short jaunt to Santa Fe. After a 6 hour drive down, I'm not sure how much the wife will want to pack up the kids for 4~5 more hours of driving to do the Santa Fe thing. You could hit it on the way back or down, but it's out of the way.

As others have said, diving in the Denver region.. hmm... sucks! We go to Aurora a few times a year. There is a plane at about 30', but the vis is generally very bad. Swimming through the grass area's can be fun as there are a TON of HUGE crawdads, and on a good day vis can hit 15'!

I've tried very hard to find good diving near the Denver area, and somewhat failed. I've done Turquoise lake, Twin Lakes, and Aurora. If you like to stare at rocks on the bottom (assuming the vis allows) then you may love it here! I did see a fish... once! In fact a few in Aurora!

Denver... just a short plan ride from world class diving!

Thanks-

I think the wife's bitting on a trip to BH for nothing more than a (car) camping trip
with the kiddies
I be checking out Aurora and Chatfield (any advice there's appriciated) this summer but just to get wet.

Now I can't wait to visit the inlaws in Jacksonville, FL. :D

There is a car museum in Santa Rosa, perhaps interesting to bigger kids and spouses. I have also begun taking my mountain bike there, as there are some tremendous rolling desert rides just east/southeast of town, including along one of the ancient Hwy 66 beds, now a long double-track trail. The nearby historical township of Puerto-de-Luna is interesting and makes a stellar road ride, though it can have some traffic now and again. I would not hesitate to take a road bike with a buddy trailer and a couple-o-tots out that way. In general, there is little sit-on-your-***** entertainment there, but its pretty country for those willing to work a bit.

Heck, It's only 134 miles to Roswell and they can go to the Alien Museum!:D

attachment.php

Hi Robanna,

I am not sure you would call it local but you could always pile the family in the car and drive to the Homestead Crater in Utah, just out of Salt Lake City. While the BH is great, the crater is warm and clear (92+) so no suit needed and the land around the place is beautiful. The drive is long (about 8 hours from Denver) but in summer the drive is beautiful and there is plenty to do near the crater. All you really need is a dive in the crater to see it all but hey, it is kinda cool. Just a thought!

Welcome Robanna!

Our dive club will be going out to Aurora quite a bit this summer. We also dive at Turquoise Lake in Leadville. Check out our website www.sharkbaitdiveclub.com and we will be posting when we head to the reservoirs. Would love to have you join us!

robanna:
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping that a 7 mm suit in july and aug would be enough (since I don't dive dry).
Maybe I can talk the wife into a trip to BH.

If you are shore diving in places like Carter Lake, the only place you are allowed to dive does not have enough depth to get you into the really cold water. 7mm is fine.

Sloss - I was thinking about Homestead. I think my wife will like that and she could do some mt biking.

What do most of you wear for exposure in the mid summer in the local lakes? Do you go as thick as 7mm or are there times you'll wear something less?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom