Hi from Michigan - dry suits info needed. Just starting to research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Of course looking for best dry
suits for the best cost. Michigan has increditable diving for ship wrecks but it's crazy cold. Any suggestions on dry suits that don't break the bank.

Whites has some interesting dry suits with what appears to be a lycra outer shell. Helps to keep the drysuit compact. Prices start at $999 with a $200 rebate if you surrender your wetsuit when you buy the drysuit. Actually, it can be anyone's wetsuit. Condition is not important.

DUI is always a popular selection for the Great Lakes. It just depends on features and what you consider to be the best drysuit for the price.

DUI is the Cadillac of drysuits. That being said, many other companies offer fantastic suits for less cost. Personally, I own a White's Fusion Tech (the one with self-donning front zip, 2 pockets and replaceable neck and wrist seals). I like it because it is lightweight and fits to your body so less airbubble chances. That being said, it has it's drawbacks; it's a standard "bag" suit (no thermal protection), not much can be carried in the pockets as they pull the outer shell down, and some folks find them difficult to don. They are also (like most drysuits), very uncomfortable during a surface interval on hot days. Currently, I've been looking into the "breathable" suits and have heard great things by them from friends and people I've met who owned them. There are also neoprene drysuits (such as those by Apollo) that do add thermal protection.

All in all, like thirdcoastdiver said, it just depends on the features and what you consider to be the best drysuit for the price. Think about what is most important to you in a suit and where/when you'll be diving most often.

Of course looking for best dry
suits for the best cost. Michigan has increditable diving for ship wrecks but it's crazy cold. Any suggestions on dry suits that don't break the bank.

Northern Diver has nice suits that might or might not be a fantastic bargain depending on the current exchange rate between British Pounds and US Dollars.

Northern Diver Drysuits - Membrane and Neoprene Drysuits

---------- Post added July 16th, 2014 at 03:38 PM ----------

Currently, I've been looking into the "breathable" suits and have heard great things by them from friends and people I've met who owned them. .

I've never used one, but can't imagine how a drysuit could be breathable, since you're underwater. It sounds like marketing.

I've never used one, but can't imagine how a drysuit could be breathable, since you're underwater. It sounds like marketing.

LOL, that was the first thing I said, too. If I'm not mistaken, Bare was the first to make them (and know several folks with them). I took someone on a tour last month who owned a Waterproof brand. All are in love with these suits. I'd definitely want to try before buy, though. :D

Gortex is waterproof and breathable. There are many other brands as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's fine in air, but still can't violate the laws of physics and cannot transport water from a low density area (the vapor in the suit) to a high density area (the water you're in).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The only Gortex specific one's I've seen are for wake-boarding or kayaking. I'd be skeptical of diving incorporating goretex (unless it's to replace nylon. Even then, wouldn't allow for the same mobility.)

flots am: I'm not sure how the "breathable" ones work. Having watched Bare's videos, it's more about the undergarment wicking and quick drying factor. They don't say it in their video, but, to me, it seems the point is to create more of a vapor that dumps. It's primarily for hot surface temps. It just sounds interesting to me (well, during the summer, at least, where my undergarments are 100% funky after every dive). :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom