HI I'm Fils-de-froid! Hello and I need a little help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FilsdeFroid

Registered
Reaction score
First off it's wonderful to join scubaboard i just had a dive in the keys that rekindled my love for diving! I would like to know roughly how much it costs to start a medium sized dive shop? (selling gear, renting gear fixing gear, air compressor for tanks, workshop, general lease costs etc.) this is for school I could ask the many divers i know but, I wanted to try scubaboard! thanks for looking at my post!

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Inventory - $50,000 - $100,000
rental gear - $20,000 - $40,000
compressor - $20,000+
workshop - $1000 - $4000
lease - depends where it is $10 sqft - $100 sqft., then how big 1000 sqft - 5000 sqft.
insurance - $2500/yr
utilities - $1000 - 2000/yr.
pool rental or in store ???

Then I lot of guts and hard work - priceless!

Reactions: Low
Then I lot of guts and hard work - priceless!

Got to love that one....

Don't forget the cost/effort to get your shops name imbedded to the hearts and minds of the local divers....

If you're looking to do this, I have some advice. A dive shop opened up in my home town, and there is NOT a lot of scuba diving to be had here. One lesson they learned quickly (opened in April 2011, moved in Dec 2011) was that it's REALLY about location. They're spending extra cash on a better location, and it's working. Another thing, making it a community instead of a business makes the business better...when they moved, they had about a dozen people volunteering tons of time. I volunteered 60 hours of work in a little over 3 days...and that's because I found out about the move late AND I had to still go to college. Speaking of college: depending on your location (I'm guessing you're in Montreal, "Son of Cold") you might want to set up a shop near a college campus and see if you can't contract out work with a scuba club in that campus. Our Scuba Club has recently started the process to get that paperwork drawn up.

And the last thing is: volunteerism. My LDS is setting people up on internships and paying us back in certifications, gear discounts, etc. They can't afford to make the LDS their full-time job, and they can't afford to pay us as employees (oh yeah, I now work there)....so we barter. Great for all of us. They're getting me certs and I'm buying gear because I'm becoming more involved. I helped them move, I've helped them grow, I've done advertising runs all through the city....I really feel connected with the LDS, and they're quickly becoming a large part of the town. More and more people know about it and are getting interested. Few divers around here aren't aware of the shop.

How was that phrased?
The only sure way to become a millionaire dive shop owner,
is to start out with 2 million dollars.
Keep in mind that a lot of LDS owners spend much
of their time working the shop and not diving so much.
Best wishes.

Speaking to what Brewone0to said, look/call around for dive shops closing. You might want to start your rental stuff out as used gear. eBay has some pretty good sales there as well. Group/huge purchases on used gear should NOT be overlooked.

Welcome to SB Fils. Glad to hear that you rekindled your dive bug.

Good luck on the shop...that takes a lot of gusto. Usually people post that they are back into diving and want to be a DM.

Welcome Fils-de-Froid glad you made it to the forums!

There are some great comments so far.

Many scuba manufacturer's want you to have a certain dollar amount of gear in your shop so you may be limited to how many brands you can sell, this would depend on your financial backing.
If each manufacturer wants you to have a between $10,000 to $20,000 worth of merchandise and you only had $60,000 to invest in gear this may only limit you to two or three manufacturers.

Also a good place to get a little bit of an idea of the services to provide and how to provide them is through reading dive shop reviews. This way you can understand what clients want for the area you would be opening the shop.

Good luck with the school project!

He might also be Wires Of Cold...

If FilsDeFroid is Montreal - he really should consider talking to us Montrealers first, before investing serious money. Montreal does NOT need another LDS, there are more than 4 on the island, and quite a few all around.

Don't forget your DM's and instructors. All, and I repeat, ALL of the LDS should have a 5 1/2 apartment attached to the LDS. Since the DM's work for free, in exchange for experience, the least that could be done is get them free room & board.
- better security for the shop
- internet connection is not wasted at night
- employees are never late

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom