Hi Scuba board, new member here, seeking advice where to move for good diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live on Saipan. It's an American Commonwealth out here by Guam.
Diving is great.
Lots of young pilots come out here and fly the island hoppers for Micronesian Air or Star Marianas Air. Little six seater planes. Boring as hell piloting, but you can live semi cheap out here and again the DIVING IS Great!

There are some reddit threads from pilots who have done this.

I am not in the field, so I don't know how much I can help, but lemme know if you have any questions.

Thanks guys, been looking on maps where some of these locations are and checking out any pilot jobs or other jobs near by.

Killercavecow, what are you doing in Saipan? I saw a job there for Marianas air, but didnt take it at the time. How is the cost of living? Star was paying something like 20K salary for a year contract, so I dont know how that would be to live.

The problem I was seeing was not the low pay as all starting pilot jobs pay ****,it was the fact that you were on salary so they had no problem dragging you into work on days off and making you be in reserve, so not only did you lose your day off, but you might not even fly much. Plus the big thing was they were pushing you to break or at least bend the hell out of the rules, yet would throw you under the bus if something happened. I would love to live on a tropical island to dive, I just dont want to be killed or lose my ratings due to a bad company.

Maybe star has gotten better recently though, a lot of places change a lot in short ammounts of time due to new management etc

Thanks guys, been looking on maps where some of these locations are and checking out any pilot jobs or other jobs near by.

Killercavecow, what are you doing in Saipan? I saw a job there for Marianas air, but didnt take it at the time. How is the cost of living? Star was paying something like 20K salary for a year contract, so I dont know how that would be to live.

The problem I was seeing was not the low pay as all starting pilot jobs pay ****,it was the fact that you were on salary so they had no problem dragging you into work on days off and making you be in reserve, so not only did you lose your day off, but you might not even fly much. Plus the big thing was they were pushing you to break or at least bend the hell out of the rules, yet would throw you under the bus if something happened. I would love to live on a tropical island to dive, I just dont want to be killed or lose my ratings due to a bad company.

Maybe star has gotten better recently though, a lot of places change a lot in short ammounts of time due to new management etc

I lucked out and got a Federal Position here, so my perspective is skewed from that.

All that stuff you posted is probably correct. Pay isn't high, lots of hours, isn't the best of working conditions. I've read on Reddit where pilots have voiced concerns about operations, but, I haven't read where any of the aircraft have had major failures or deaths. One sight seeing plane did land recently in a golf course, but hey, any landing you can walk away from...right? I understand your concerns and don't disagree, but lots of peeps have gone through that meat grinder and gone on to the next step.

If you're bringing a family here and are looking for settling, DON'T DO IT. If you're single, want a year of adventure and diving, why not?!

We rent a 3 bedroom house with a yard and fence for $700 a month. Single room or share opportunities abound and there is somewhat of a network for expats.
Food from the grocery store is more expensive, eating out is about the same if a little cheaper than the mainland. Gas is 3.80 a gallon, but the island is only 12 miles long. 'tricity is a little more spendy. Local g-ment has some stuff backwards, but I've had no problems. Local peeps be friendly, tourists be....well, tourists.

Happy to answer any more questions.

Attachments

• Spot.jpg
    Spot.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks killercavecow, yeah If I did take the a pilot job out that way I would look to rent a small little house and live cheap, just basics, internet, electric etc and just scuba on my days off, build time and get out. probably just get a scooter or bike to get around.

How is the spear fishing there? I did look for a GS job or federal since I am ex military and they have bases in guam etc but never saw any openings for my kind of jobs.

also my internet is kinda ******, and this site while typing is slow due to it always refreshing for the chat thing, is there a way to turn it off?

Definitely look into Juno or Jupiter FL, you can get work while waiting for what you want, cost of living tolerable and you can shore dive blue heron bridge and an easy day trip to keys to dive for cheap. Plus, check into Bonaire research for job they are having tough time getting local airlines established due to lack of pilots. Small planes between ABC islands and out of hurricane belt. Airlines are diva diva and Insel air. Bonaire is always in top ten destinations to dive you should check it out. I'm an okie as well but did live in Juno fl for 8 years. I had to leave to take care of my father or I would still be there.

Have you considered the US Caribbean islands like Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix? Probably not the cheapest places to live but your pilot license would probably be okay.

St. Croix has the best diving of the group with options for both boat and shore diving. And the St. Croix economy has suffered some economic reverses in recent years - but they are recovering - so you might be able to find living accommodations that are not too expensive.

Below are some very comprehensive reports from @drrich2 about his recent family trip to St Croix and diving.

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

St Croix Trip Specifics, Aug. 2017

Susi Air - PILOT CAREER CENTRE

Susi Air are always recruiting pilots - I've met a few divers getting their hours up and living and diving Indonesia - Susi Air is generally doing remote landing strips as opposed to boring as batshit puddle jumpers.

Thanks guys, will look at Jupiter area unless some other place jumps out with a good job.
I looked at the virgin islands etc but they are requiring a lot of hours and hard ot get in,I guess a lot of competition for paradise lol
The other non US islands are not an option it seams with the visa and right to work requirements, coupled with the European pilot license conversion etc some have their own license required on top of that, it seems if your country is not part of the common wealth a lot of them are closed off, ironically it is easier as an Australian or European to get a job in the Caribbean off the US coast, go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom