Hi-viz lines - are they worth buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was browsing the net the other day, looking for some new toys for my next dive, and noticed some brands carried finger spools with bright coloured lines.

I already have an Oxycheq 100ft ABS finger spool with the usual #24 nylon line, but if the bright orange or yellow lines are more easily noticed and beneficial safety-wise, I might want to replace it.

My dives are in tropical seas, and am planning on diving wrecks in SE Asia once I get tec certified.

Should I
a) just keep the Oxycheq spool and forget about the Hi-viz thing
b) get a new spool with Hi-viz lines and keep the old spool for backup
c) buy a reel with Hi-viz lines, because having two spools with similar line length is point less

Any kind of advice are welcome.
Thanks for your help!

I think it depends on what you are using a spool FOR. If you're just shooting bags with it, plain old white line is just fine. If you're running line, I have found that the yellow stuff shows up much better in murky water (and in the dark) and is also easy to distinguish from other people's lines.

As to whether you should buy another spool or a reel, again, that depends on what you are doing. Unless you are running significant lengths of line (more than 50 feet) on a regular basis, a spool will do fine for most applications. The problem with spools is that retrieving the line is a bit more of a pain than using a reel, so if you are needing a couple hundred feet of line, it's MUCH nicer to have a handle to spool it back up.

I have a yellow high viz spool, and my shop uses a pink high viz for their shotline when finding shipwrecks. I can say that when we're doing ascents/descents following the shotline in murky lake Erie, that high viz pink is a godsend, but as TSandM stated, if you're just shooting a bag and following it up yourself, it doesn't add much.

Anyone know where to find the pink or yellow line? I would re-wrap my reels in it in a heart beat, especially if I could get some line thick enough that divers could grab it.

Thankyou for your posts.
Getting input from people who've actually used the stuff is really great!
I really appreciate it.

I think it depends on what you are using a spool FOR. If you're just shooting bags with it, plain old white line is just fine. If you're running line, I have found that the yellow stuff shows up much better in murky water (and in the dark) and is also easy to distinguish from other people's lines.
TSandM, thankyou for commenting. For the time being I'll be only shooting SMBs. And yes, I have nothing to complain about the white #24 line I'm using right now. Bright colours standing out in dark water is one "feature" I did have in mind, but then again, if I'm shooting the line and following it up myself, it wouldn't make much difference.

I have a yellow high viz spool, and my shop uses a pink high viz for their shotline when finding shipwrecks. I can say that when we're doing ascents/descents following the shotline in murky lake Erie, that high viz pink is a godsend, but as TSandM stated, if you're just shooting a bag and following it up yourself, it doesn't add much.
About the colour having little meaning when I'm just shooting SMBs, understood.
Jimmer, one thing I'd like to ask you. While your shop uses pink, you have yellow. Any specific reason you selected yellow, or is it just to differentiate between the shop's line and yours?

Anyone know where to find the pink or yellow line? I would re-wrap my reels in it in a heart beat, especially if I could get some line thick enough that divers could grab it.
I think I can help here. At diveriteexpress.com, they sell lines in yellow and orange, but not pink. From the top page, click "Tools" in the upper right corner, then click the "Classic reel"photo in the next page. They have a number of preloaded reel spools with different line lengths, and also 3000ft worth of line on a spool, probably meant for dive shops or pioneering expeditions. I'm not sure about the line thickness.

You can find pretty light braided line at most of the big box stores sold as masonary twine. Mine even has "multi-colored" line. Should be no deal to wrap a new spool.

I'm not sure how nylon takes dye, but you could theoretically dye your own line as well. You would have to do some experimenting though, I would think

You can find pretty light braided line at most of the big box stores sold as masonary twine. Mine even has "multi-colored" line. Should be no deal to wrap a new spool.

I'm not sure how nylon takes dye, but you could theoretically dye your own line as well. You would have to do some experimenting though, I would think

I *think* masonry line is twisted rather than braided. Braided is apparently more abrasion resistant ?

Can buy braided line here Dive Rite Classic Reels probably lots of other places as well.

The yellow line really stands out when used on jump reels in caves.I like it.

Last edited:
Home D has braided hi viz yellow masonry line. From memory I believe it's polypropylene. I've used it to tie off bolt snaps, and it seems to hold a knot well. I do however melt the ends *and* give the final knot a drop of super glue as well.

Henrik

My local Home Depot only sells twisted masonry line. Which tends to fall apart under strain, or if you have to cut it off under water, especially if it is under strain.

I did find some 'parachute cord' which is braided, but hollow. Well it is not actually hollow, it has a nylon bit down the center. So I can use a fid to make a loop in the end.

No one here on the mainland seems to know what a fid is though, so buying the right size fid is hard.

My local Home Depot only sells twisted masonry line.

I guess I should have said *my* Home D sells the braided kind :)

I bought some of the twisted stuff for other purposes, and it's a pain to work with. Un-twists as soon as you cut it.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom