HID lights and Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
On a recent trip to the Philippines I did some night dives with a new 21W HID light. We came across a few turtles and they all seemed to HATE it. Three of them made very fast, close charges at me and another (a hawksbill thankfully, not one of the bigger green turtles) rammed me in my side. My buddy thought it was the funniest thing he had ever seen, but it felt like someone hit me with a bowling ball. At first I thought that the turtle might have gotten night blindness and hit me by accident, so I was careful not to shine the light directly at any others. It didn't make much difference though, since many of the others we came across also tried to ram me. I finally turned off the HID, switched to my incandescent back-up and everything was fine. Others in my group were diving with LED and Halogen lights and none of them had any problems. I know the story sounds crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else on the board has had a similar experience.

its not just the turtles, you'll find the crabs and shrimp absolutely hate HID's...

Best thing to do if you don't want to turn off your HID is cup your other hand over the reflector. Also, any u/w photographer buddies you might be diving with will likely appreciate this gesture as well...

manhattandiver:
Others in my group were diving with LED and Halogen lights and none of them had any problems. I know the story sounds crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else on the board has had a similar experience.

i never shine my hids on turtules eyes bec i know it hurts them. how would you feel after a hard night of partying only to find out aliens invaded your sleeping spot and flashed high Intensity lights at your eyes? i too would seriously go berserk:)

Had a similar problem with a barracuda once. Sweeping the light around, flashed across one, it turned and charged towards me barely missing then disappeard into the darkness. Talk about an Oh SHOOT! moment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom