Hiding your certification level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that dive ops may want to keep your card to make sure you settled your bill when the diving was done. If you needed something extra that was not included in the dive, it would be a way to verify what you may owe.

Or a final time that you are going to see someone from the dive op, so you could fill the tip jar.

I think that dive ops may want to keep your card to make sure you settled your bill when the diving was done. If you needed something extra that was not included in the dive, it would be a way to verify what you may owe.

Or a final time that you are going to see someone from the dive op, so you could fill the tip jar.

Now you're just making excuses for dive ops. The reason I'm asking this question is that a couple of years ago, I was told that I would have to leave my c-card with the dive shop. I had already paid for the dive ahead of time, I had my own tanks and gear and didn't need anything from the shop, yet they said I had to leave my card. The guy behind couldn't give me a reason other than they kept the cards. There was another person in the shop who was going on this trip who didn't have his card. He said that another shop had kept it and still had it. So the shop called the other shop and took their word that they had the card. So they didn't have to have his card inhand and they took some "person on a phone" word they this guy really had a card. Turned out the seas were high and the trip was canceled so I didn't have to leave the card. But I will not deal with that shop again if they still have that policy.

Now maybe some countries like Spain require this. Last time I dove in Spain, they didn't, but was about 6 years ago. Last trip the weather didn't cooperate. My wife is going to have her cousin look into it.

Now maybe some countries like Spain require this. Last time I dove in Spain, they didn't, but was about 6 years ago. Last trip the weather didn't cooperate. My wife is going to have her cousin look into it.
Without making a political statement, let's just say times have changed, the government has decided to clamp down on what they consider to be the commercial nature of taking divers to a dive site, the Civil Guard has taken advantage of that to control recreational diving at sea based on an argument of promoting and ensuring safety, the regional governments also regulate minimum ages for certification, maximum depths, night dives and so on.

Now you're just making excuses for dive ops. The reason I'm asking this question is that a couple of years ago, I was told that I would have to leave my c-card with the dive shop. I had already paid for the dive ahead of time, I had my own tanks and gear and didn't need anything from the shop, yet they said I had to leave my card. The guy behind couldn't give me a reason other than they kept the cards. There was another person in the shop who was going on this trip who didn't have his card. He said that another shop had kept it and still had it. So the shop called the other shop and took their word that they had the card. So they didn't have to have his card inhand and they took some "person on a phone" word they this guy really had a card. Turned out the seas were high and the trip was canceled so I didn't have to leave the card. But I will not deal with that shop again if they still have that policy.

I think Luckydays is correct. Holding on to your C-card makes sure the operator has a chance to clear any outstanding bill AND it gives you mandatory face time with the cashier so that you will remember to tip the divemasters/crew.

I think Luckydays is correct. Holding on to your C-card makes sure the operator has a chance to clear any outstanding bill AND it gives you mandatory face time with the cashier so that you will remember to tip the divemasters/crew.

How many times do you go out on a charter where they don't have you pay up front, or at the very least leave a credit card number. So, I'll say it again, I had paid in full already. I owed the shop nothing. I rented nothing. There was no reason for them to want to keep the card. They could not give me a reason for needing to keep the card. Another person who going to go out on the same boat did not have his card at all and they accepted that another shop was holding it. So they were allowing someone to dive off one of their vessels without showing any card at all.

And on top of all this you are telling me, as if justifing it, they are holding the card hostage in the hope of receiving a tip. Any tip should be between me and the crew of the boat. So from now on I will be justified in requiring them to allow me to hold their drivers licence, to make sure that they don't drive home that night without returning my card.

But I do realize that you are probably right. This is their way (policy) to make sure that I will come back into the shop. Yep, this is the type of business I want to trust. So on top of all this, and to keep this tread on track, I'm going to show them let alone allow them to hold an instructor or dive master card?

How many times do you go out on a charter where they don't have you pay up front, or at the very least leave a credit card number. So, I'll say it again, I had paid in full already. I owed the shop nothing. I rented nothing. There was no reason for them to want to keep the card. They could not give me a reason for needing to keep the card. Another person who going to go out on the same boat did not have his card at all and they accepted that another shop was holding it. So they were allowing someone to dive off one of their vessels without showing any card at all.

And on top of all this you are telling me, as if justifing it, they are holding the card hostage in the hope of receiving a tip. Any tip should be between me and the crew of the boat. So from now on I will be justified in requiring them to allow me to hold their drivers licence, to make sure that they don't drive home that night without returning my card.

But I do realize that you are probably right. This is their way (policy) to make sure that I will come back into the shop. Yep, this is the type of business I want to trust. So on top of all this, and to keep this tread on track, I'm going to show them let alone allow them to hold an instructor or dive master card?

I frequently go on dive charters where it is possible to accrue additional expenses due after I have paid up front (food / t-shirts / ect.)

I frequently go on dive charters where it is possible to accrue additional expenses due after I have paid up front (food / t-shirts / ect.)

Well that's just fine for you, but I pay as I go. There is no reason for me to hand over my c-card just to insure that I come back to spend more money. Unless they can give me a legitimate reason to hold my card I won't let them keep it. I can't for the life of me think of any reason they can give to justify keeping the card. So if they insist, I will walk out the door.

Well that's just fine for you, but I pay as I go. There is no reason for me to hand over my c-card just to insure that I come back to spend more money. Unless they can give me a legitimate reason to hold my card I won't let them keep it. I can't for the life of me think of any reason they can give to justify keeping the card. So if they insist, I will walk out the door.

Hey Zeig, why don't you just cool your jets Buckeroo. I was just answering your question as to how often we go on charters where all the expenses were not paid up front. In fact, paying "as you go" is not an option on any of the liveaboards I have been on. The cashier collects incidentals on the last day of diving.

Hey, Zieg;

This is really one of those "personal comfort" zones. I understand where you are coming from -- I would not want to leave anything with anybody, especially if the reasons are just "policy". I agree completely with walking out - if enough people do that, the shop may relook its policy.

However, you might miss some good dive opportunities. So, for the forum -- what about having good copies of the dive cards you can hand over? I say good because some crappy copies are useless . . . The diver feels better because s/he doesn't hand over his/her precious cards, and the dive shop has its proof of competency on hand.

Hey Zeig, why don't you just cool your jets Buckeroo. I was just answering your question as to how often we go on charters where all the expenses were not paid up front. In fact, paying "as you go" is not an option on any of the liveaboards I have been on. The cashier collects incidentals on the last day of diving.

My jets are cool, Douggie. Sorry if you're taking what I'm saying too strongly. I have been on several liveaboards myself and have never been asked to allow them to hold my card. If they did I would politely tell them no. What "incidentals" are you talking about? I understand a t-shirt or two, but isn"t that the type of thing people pay before they set foot on the dock?

Hey, Zieg;

This is really one of those "personal comfort" zones. I understand where you are coming from -- I would not want to leave anything with anybody, especially if the reasons are just "policy". I agree completely with walking out - if enough people do that, the shop may relook its policy.

However, you might miss some good dive opportunities. So, for the forum -- what about having good copies of the dive cards you can hand over? I say good because some crappy copies are useless . . . The diver feels better because s/he doesn't hand over his/her precious cards, and the dive shop has its proof of competency on hand.

I agree with the copies. They are more than welcome to make a copy of my card and hold that. In fact I do carry copies of my card for just that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom