High pressure tanks with older regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrians

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking at investing in some new tanks and I wonder if the Conshelf series SH regs can take 3500psi pressures?

I should think so.

You may also like the 7 inch diameter Faber LP 85.

N

I still don't realy get this.:shakehead:

LP/HP your talking about is 2900 psi and 3500psi.

For us LP is 232 bar and HP is 300+ bar
So thats 3500 psi VS 4400+psi. So whats 4400+ VHP :confused:

The difference between 200bar and 232bar is so small any reg I've seen, even the older ones will never have any problem with them.

I learned a trick while diving the springs in Florida. LP steels do just fine at 3500 psi:) I have HP steels but I really like the LP 85, nice tank.

I still don't realy get this.:shakehead:

LP/HP your talking about is 2900 psi and 3500psi.

For us LP is 232 bar and HP is 300+ bar
So thats 3500 psi VS 4400+psi. So whats 4400+ VHP :confused:

The difference between 200bar and 232bar is so small any reg I've seen, even the older ones will never have any problem with them.

What are you talking about? This is not the DIR forum.:shakehead: In the vintage world LP is 2,500 psi or less. Many of the regulators were built in a time where tanks were operated commonly at 1800 psi.

N

What I am hoping to get is a tank that will hold at least 100cuft of air, will be SLIGHTLY negative to neutral empty, wont sink me if it's warm enough to use a 3mm suit in freshwater.
I guess what i'd really like to do is fill my 72's to 3000psi.
That not being possible, I'm looking for the next best option.
So, what I want to know, has anyone found the perfect tank for a vintage diver who also wants to have more air available for not so vintage dives?
I would be using it with a few various DH regs including DA, RAM, Conshelf series of SH.
I'm not worried about 2500 to 3000psi but nothing higher as it would require short fills for older equipment dives.

Oh yeah...one more thing.
I slung a 72 "pony" to suppliment my main 72 this weekend. It was no fun for a purely recreational dive so that's pretty much out as an option.

One option that I found to be really great is a set of Luxfer 50s. With a solid manifold like the USD and a cotton harness with stainless steel bands, I found the set to be really comfortable, holds 100 cu ft of air and is just slightly negative when empty. Here is a photo of the 50s (right) and a set of Calalina 45s (left). I haven't dove the 45s yet, but looking forward to their shorter size.
IMG_0451.jpg

I am not sure where my earlier reply to this post went but here goes again...only shorter!

I like the small doubles. They sit on me right, give me the air I need BUT mine have a back pack. I'd have to get both bands AND your harness, Simon, in order to use them as intended. My challenge would be for anything other than vintage diving. No BC that I have will allow me to use them when I want to play with the new crowd and that's all I have available these days it seems. Four dives per weekend but they are all PADI divers, so it's like water and oil. Tunnel vision is the result, it seems.

I have been using a mk5 scuba pro on a Worthington hp 100 without problems,the yoke is rated for 3000psi,I would not use it on the old thin yokes rated for 2250 psi. I seldom get a full fill on those tanks usually about 3200 psi,they fill them to 3500-3600 hot and cool down to 3200psi. I would think a newer conshelf should hold higher pressure tanks.

I was going to suggest double 72s, but based on what you just said I'd get the faber FX-100, that's less than 1lb negative empty, or try a worthington LP95 and pump it up a little. You'd have to REALLY push the 72 to get 100cf in one, at 3000 PSI they hold 86.3. Personally I'd have no problem putting 3000 PSI in a 72 that's in good shape, but my comfort level would diminish much higher than that, and I have trouble getting anyone around here to go to 2500, much less 3000.

I just bought a faber FX-100 for $165 thanks to the fast work of Couv. (another SBer) Now I'm wondering about using my RAM on a 3442 tank. The phoenix, no problem, but what about the regular USD long yoke?

Back
Top Bottom