High pressure tanks with older regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are your buds diving and would they get short fills too?

Options at 3000psi:

single HP100=87.2CF
double HP65=113.3CF
double HP80=139.5CF

Then, there is:

double LP45= 90CF at 2640psi
triple LP 45=135CF at 2640psi

Here are some tank spec charts:

Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

OMS High Volume High Pressure Steel Scuba Cylinders Specifications http://www.OMSdive.com

XS Scuba Tank Specs

Scuba Tank Specifications

Or an LP 85 (pressure 2450/2640) at 3,000 is around 96 cf.

N

Or an LP 85 (pressure 2450/2640) at 3,000 is around 96 cf.

N

I am looking seriously at this option. Next choice will be the LP95.
Thanks for the directions!

If you look at the specs for a LP85 and an HP100, you will see that they are quite close in dimensions and buoyancy and at the same pressure they hold close to the same amount of air:
Using Worthington cylinders as an example

http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/steel_cylinder_specs_all.pdf

a LP85 over filled to 3000psi holds 94.2cf and weighs 34.3lb empty and is -0.7lb buoyant
a HP100 underfilled to 3000psi holds 86.7cf and weighs 33.0lb empty and is -2.5lb buoyant

When you add the extra 1.8 pounds of lead to the LP tank to make it the same buoyancy as the HP tank, you are carrying 9.4% more weight for only 8.6% more air with the overfilled LP tank.

If you compare the HP tank at it's service pressure to the LP tank overfilled to 3000psi, you have almost 15% more air but 9.4% LESS weight. It's getting harder and harder to get LP tanks overfilled these days but I find it easier to get 3442psi fills than it used to be.

If you look at the specs for a LP85 and an HP100, you will see that they are quite close in dimensions and buoyancy and at the same pressure they hold close to the same amount of air:
Using Worthington cylinders as an example

http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/steel_cylinder_specs_all.pdf

a LP85 over filled to 3000psi holds 94.2cf and weighs 34.3lb empty and is -0.7lb buoyant
a HP100 underfilled to 3000psi holds 86.7cf and weighs 33.0lb empty and is -2.5lb buoyant

When you add the extra 1.8 pounds of lead to the LP tank to make it the same buoyancy as the HP tank, you are carrying 9.4% more weight for only 8.6% more air with the overfilled LP tank.

If you compare the HP tank at it's service pressure to the LP tank overfilled to 3000psi, you have almost 15% more air but 9.4% LESS weight. It's getting harder and harder to get LP tanks overfilled these days but I find it easier to get 3442psi fills than it used to be.

So why did I think the HP100 was an 8" tank? Probably ignorance.....

Called the LDS and ordered 2 HP100's

This hopefully, will give me the best of both worlds....more air and less weight on my belt to sink a 7mm but not so much that I can't dive with a thin suit and still maintain a margin of safety.

The LP85 I am referring to is the Faber 7.0 inch diameter tank.

N

The LP85 I am referring to is the Faber 7.0 inch diameter tank.

N

I liked the idea of the 7" Faber tank, however the LDS that I like around here don't carry that brand, quoting too much shipping money involved to get from Distribution centre to retail outlet.
I expect the Worthington X7-100 will work for me pretty much as well.

While we are on the subject of heavy yokes, why is the conshelf XII rated at 4000 PSI while the XIV and subsequent are rated at 3000-3500 PSI? Anyone know why this is?

Back
Top Bottom