high wattage hid questions..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His probably would work, it might look a bit kooky. I find when I do any penetration, wreck/cavern I would rather have a more "flooded" beam. What you are talking about is personal preference, hey if it works, it works! I think 10 watt also works better in lower vis or water with heavy particulate matter, the beam is tighter and liuminates les back scatter.

greg1:
His probably would work, it might look a bit kooky. I find when I do any penetration, wreck/cavern I would rather have a more "flooded" beam. What you are talking about is personal preference, hey if it works, it works! I think 10 watt also works better in lower vis or water with heavy particulate matter, the beam is tighter and liuminates les back scatter.

I'd have to disagree. I've got both 10W and 18W Halcyon lightheads, and the 18W blows away the 10W all day long, in all types of conditions-especially in low viz, high particulate water. The 18 cuts like a light saber.

One thing I did notice is that there is a distinct difference between the older lightheads, and the newer ones with the extended shroud. The new ones produce less backscatter and seem to focus the light like a wide laser beam. I always keep my beam at the tightest possible setting, as opposed to a "flood" or wide angle, and use it mostly for signaling purposes.

One last advantage of the 18 is in very bright conditions. The 10W gets lost while you can clearly see the 18.

solved the problem with the focus, im an idiot.

Your are right when it comes to the brightness, I have seen both 10 and 18 watts used together, the 18 definately has the advantage. But I have seen them used in low vis and the 18 or 21 tends to work against you. Prior to picking up the GreenForce, I had the Halcyon 10 watt and my buddy has the 18, both good lights but from my experiences the 18 sometimes worked aginst him. This would stop me from picking up the 21 watt impact head, it will allow me to choose the brightness I want according to the conditions.

no but i found that if i put pressure on the light head upward it forms a nice tight circle.

i have to put pressure on it because the damn bulb is a little crooked and havent had the time to send it back. thats why the focus is jacked. and i have a theory that if you put a spacer behind the bulb and use the lnger test tube it would be more like a 10 watt. the 10 watt bulb is longer and hits the reflector better, or so i believe.

I'm not saying it dosen't work, I just find that the type of diving I usually do, sometimes the 18/21 could be a bit over powering. I plan on picking up the GreenForce 21 watt HID impact head because I want the extra brightness. For me diving in NJ, when I pick up the 21 watt, and I would be able to switch them out if need be in between dives. Now when I go up to St. Lawrence seaway, it will be 21 watt all the way.
This is why when I wanted to pick up a new HID system, I went with GreenForce, it is very versital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom