Highland Beach Submarine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I heard about this story on the Paul and Ron Show this morning.

Somewhat interesting.

To me given the growth on it that i see in the pictures,
it appears to have been down for a little while.

I am thinking its a piece of industrial machinery that was jettisoned from a passing vessel intentionally.

Thoughts anyone?

Its after Halloween, so Zombie delivery vehicle is out of the question.

Mysterious submarine-like vessel found off coast of Highland Beach, officials say - Sun Sentinel

Chug
Not into submarines very much.

Definitely sounds like a narco-submarine. In this case it looks like a primitive semi-submersible to run cocaine. They have been around for years now. Look on Wiki as they have a pretty good write up on them.

Does Chug work for Sun Sentinel? I gets asked for monies when I follow the linky

I just did a Google search for "Highland Beach submarine". And a link to the story on the Sun Sentinel page popped right up. And it's a no fee access for me. Chug Single semester journalism major.

Saw this yesterday.

When I saw the short video the growth on the hull made it look like it was either super slow moving (not likely) or it had been down for a while (most likely).

First thought was cocaine submersible.

It was/is what, 100 meters from the beach?

how shallow is it over there?

The seas the last few weeks have been bouncy, perhaps it was dislodged from the bottom and rolled up the beach.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 10:53 AM ----------

ALocal News / Palm Beach County NewsSubmarine­like vessel sitting off HighlandBeach coast, officials sayBy Kate Jacobson • Contact ReporterSun Sentinelf tWhat is that thing sitting off the coast of Highland Beach? Is it a submarine?NOVEMBER 5, 2015, 12:10 AMmysterious, submarine­like vessel appeared off the coast of Highland Beach just over aweek ago, and its discovery has officials and beachgoers wondering exactly what it is andhow it got there.The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed they investigated the object, but they don't know what it is.Mark Engelhardt, of Austin, Texas, was in town visiting his parents when he discovered a 20­footlong,steel vessel shaped like a submarine beached about 150 yards off the coast. The bright orangetail of the vessel caught his eye from the beach, as it is clearly visible above the water from shore.The vessel is sunk at a 45­degree angle off the 3700 block of South Ocean Boulevard. Engelhardt,52, said he and other beachgoers were curious about what it was, so on Oct. 26 he put on hisgoggles and started swimming.Article continues below What he found shocked him."We thought it was a buoy or something that fell off a ship," he said. "But it's definitely not that."Here's how he described it: It's a cylindrical, steel vessel that appears to be welded together. Inside,there's a 6­cylinder engine and a battery. Outside, there are two hatches that appear to allowsomeone to get in and out.Article continues below 11/5/2015 Mysterious submarine­like vessel found off coast of Highland Beach, officials say ­ Sun Sentinelhttp://www.sun­sentinel.com/local/palm­beach/fl­highland­beach­mystery­submarine­20151104­story.html 2/3The tail is painted bright orange, and the front is pointed. He estimates it's about 3­1/2 feet indiameter."I come from Texas three times a year to see my parents, to catch some sun, hang out by the pooland then this happens," he said.With an underwater camera, Engelhardt snapped some shots and notified authorities.Coast Guard officials described it as an "obstructive" object in the water and plan to investigatewhether there are any signs of who built it, where it came from or if it belongs to anyone.Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera confirmed that the Sheriff's Officechecked out a submarine­like vessel in the water, but is not investigating any further.Article continues below In the meantime, Coast Guard officials said they issued a warning to mariners and put a light onthe tail to alert boaters. They don't plan to tow it, officials said.Engelhardt said while he can't be entirely sure it's a submarine, he said it's the spitting image ofone.He and his parents theorize it was used to smuggle drugs or other nefarious objects ashore, butofficials haven't confirmed that."What else could be in something like that?" Engelhardt said. "This is crazy. This is like, whoa."kjacobson@sunsentinel.com, 561­243­6547 or Twitter @katejacobson

found without needing script.

Mysterious submarine-like vessel found off coast of Highland Beach, officials say - Sun Sentinel

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 10:54 AM ----------

or perhaps I just interrupted the website loading and it let me in. . .

clicking chugs linky link doesn't have the advertisement for me, anymore.

A mysterious, submarine-like vessel appeared off the coast of Highland Beach just over a week ago, and its discovery has officials and beachgoers wondering exactly what it is and how it got there.
The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed they investigated the object, but they don't know what it is.
Mark Engelhardt, of Austin, Texas, was in town visiting his parents when he discovered a 20-foot-long, steel vessel shaped like a submarine beached about 150 yards off the coast. The bright orange tail of the vessel caught his eye from the beach, as it is clearly visible above the water from shore.
The vessel is sunk at a 45-degree angle off the 3700 block of South Ocean Boulevard. Engelhardt, 52, said he and other beachgoers were curious about what it was, so on Oct. 26 he put on his goggles and started swimming.
What he found shocked him.
"We thought it was a buoy or something that fell off a ship," he said. "But it's definitely not that."
Here's how he described it: It's a cylindrical, steel vessel that appears to be welded together. Inside, there's a 6-cylinder engine and a battery. Outside, there are two hatches that appear to allow someone to get in and out.
400x225.jpg

The tail is painted bright orange, and the front is pointed. He estimates it's about 3-1/2 feet in diameter.
"I come from Texas three times a year to see my parents, to catch some sun, hang out by the pool and then this happens," he said.
With an underwater camera, Engelhardt snapped some shots and notified authorities.
Coast Guard officials described it as an "obstructive" object in the water and plan to investigate whether there are any signs of who built it, where it came from or if it belongs to anyone.
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera confirmed that the Sheriff's Office checked out a submarine-like vessel in the water, but is not investigating any further.
400x225.jpg
The bow of a homemade submarine protrudes out of the water as divers help secure it off the coast of Highland Beach, Fla., on Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2015.
(Jim Rassol / TNS)

In the meantime, Coast Guard officials said they issued a warning to mariners and put a light on the tail to alert boaters. They don't plan to tow it, officials said.
Engelhardt said while he can't be entirely sure it's a submarine, he said it's the spitting image of one.
He and his parents theorize it was used to smuggle drugs or other nefarious objects ashore, but officials haven't confirmed that.
"What else could be in something like that?" Engelhardt said. "This is crazy. This is like, whoa."
kjacobson@sunsentinel.com,

If you click "not right now" twice you eventually get to the video. It's beached now so you can see some detail.

To me it looks industrial - like something off an oil rig platform or similar.

There's no visible propulsion system so I doubt it's a drug sub. Plus that's kind of a misnomer since drug subs run near the surface typically with some sort of observation window - you've got to be able to see somehow.

Someone spent time welding that square flange to the front - no sub would have that. Poor quality grab from the video but you get the idea:

vessel.jpg

Engelhardt said while he can't be entirely sure it's a submarine, he said it's the spitting image of one.
He's apparently never seen on in his life...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom