Hilton Head Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deyv

Reaction score
Hey, I'm gonna be down there (Hilton Head Island) the last week in oct (2weeks) and was hoping to do some diving.

Where is there to go out to? know anyone down there that I could tag along with on a dive (I invited my parents since the timeshare has 2 bedrooms, but I'm the only diver coming)

I wouldn't mind going out all week, but if I have to charter everything that could get pricey...any hints? or heads up on conditions (Im used to cold water up here in Niagara Falls, so anything over 60 is OK.

Deyv

What dates will you be here? And what's your level of certification?

We don't have anything planned, but that's not to say that we can't put it together...

For charters, we'd need a minimum of four divers. I'm in, for sure... I think that RavenC would be, too... We'd need one more...

But what dates are you looking at?

I'll be showing up on Sun the 26th(Oct) and leaving Sun the 2nd (Nov) Morning so that day is shot.

I've only been diving this year but have NAUI Advanced, and TDI Basic Nitrox.

I'd Love to dive the whole trip, but I dont think my wallet could handle it. (Unless we could do some cheaper 'shore' type dives) This 0 vis stuff sounds interesting (I'd love a cool memento of the trip) I wouldn't mind just heading off the shore from the beach, but would prefer to have a dive buddy!

I've got 3 AL80's, should I have them certified for the Nitrox before coming down there? (or just 1?2?)

Deyv

Let's have a show of hands... Who would be interested in diving with Deyv and myself on a chartered boat to the Betsy Ross, near Hilton Head, on the morning of the 1st of November?

If we can muster four divers, we're in. :)

Last I looked, the charter was $70 per person, with a 4 person minimum. Any gear or tanks would be extra, with competitive prices locally.

Info on the Betsy Ross at http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/homebross.html

I think, too, that we could do a local "zero vis" dive without too much difficulty, for next to nothing in cost... Maybe Halloween night? (Friday.)

That sounds kinda cool...

I would love to do this but alas, I have no car. :-( Oh well, I'll be there next time. :) Have fun anyway.

The top of the ship is basically at about 70', with the sand being just over 100'. Much of the ship's hull can be explored "cavern style," meaning that you do technically get into some overhead, but there's no way to get lost or silted out... So the risk factors are low.

A PADI OW diver is certified to 60'... And that wouldn't do you on this dive unless you'd be willing to hover 10' above the topmost part of the ship.

...But your question... "Is AOW required?" The answer is no. I am not a divemaster, and nobody on the boat is going to tell you that you can't dive the ship because it's out of your certification level. I've seen many divers who are plenty capable of diving to all recreational dive depths who never bothered to get certified past the OW level.

That said, I don't know how comfortable you are diving to 70' or even 100'. If you're comfortable with it, then by all means... Come with us. :)

Just so you can make an educated decision... This is what the dive is typically like:

At about 7am (Captain's rules... I hate early mornings, but it seems that they all do that) we meet at a local dock and board the 30' rigid hull inflatable that you see here. the boat is fast and capable, the captains wonderfully experienced and friendly. In case you're not familiar, that rigid-hull inflatable is the same kind of boat that the U.S. Coast Guard uses to chase "Gofast" drug smuggling boats offshore in the Caribbean. It has twin four-stroke outboards which are quiet and smoke-free. They'll make that boat get up and walk 60 mph on a good day, with 8 divers and gear aboard. It's pretty awesome.

The captains spend some time stowing your gear... And everyone gets to know each other as we slowly motor by the docks on our way out of the sound.

When the river widens and we begin to leave civilization behind, and if there's smooth water, Captain Mark will open 'em up... Which is fast and exhilirating. An hour later (just about the time you're tired of the boat ride) we arrive on-site, at an invisible point in the water... Far from land and any reference point. If it wasn't for the onboard GPS, you couldn't tell north from south from east or west. :)

The Captain typically spends about ten or fifteen minutes circling and using a depth finder to find the wreck, and when he does, he throws an anchor overboard and ties up. He then gets busy helping everyone with their gear.

Typical swells in this area are 2' or 3', although I've seen glass-smooth waters in this area. If you're prone to seasickness, it'll get to you at this point. We recommend meds, even if you don't think you'll get sick.

From there, you hop in. You can't immediately see the bottom, but the water is surprisingly clear and you can see your buddy just fine. The water is 72* to 74* during most of our diving, so you feel the chill of seawater when it enters your wetsuit, but a moment later it gets nice-n-comfy.

That's when you notice the sea life. All around you are moon jellies, about the size of the circumference of a mayonnaise jar. Good thing you're wearing your wetsuit today... Even though moon jellies don't really have much of a sting.

You might see the occassional flash of a curious barracuda, too. They're especially alarming when you're floating at the surface and being tossed around a bit and you just sorta catch a glimse out of the corner of your eye. Rest assured that nobody's ever been attacked... But they are curious, and more than a little menacing-looking.

When your buddy jumps in with a shower of bubbles, you watch him do a quick check and situate himself. Then the two of you head toward the bow of the boat, find the anchor line (which sits at a 45* angle in the water) and look down it's length. It simply disappears into the blue. With a decisive action, you deflate, and as the pressure of the salt water around you begins to increase, you move down the rough hemp of the anchor line. With every passing foot of depth, the sea around you gets more still... The bottom's going to feel very different from the shiny, salty, glistening wave activity of the surface.

A shudder runs down your spine as you reach over and grab your light and turn it on. Daylight has been left behind, and less than half of it gets down this far. 40... 50... 60... Shouldn't you be seeing the wreck by now?

That's when it appears... Like a gloomy shadow out from another time, the silhouette of the wreck appears before you, and you can begin to make out the pale sandy bottom which it sits upon. You check your guages... 72 feet and increasing. Now, at least, you have a reference point so that your body can comprehend where you are in the water column.

There's marine life everywhere... As you shine your light across the bow of the Betsy Ross, spots of color burst into the water around you. Urchins and corals of all types, colors and sizes cover the hull of the doomed ship. Mullet and jacks swim in great, shaping schools and swarm like schoolchildren on a playground. Another barracuda - maybe the one that visited you topside - pokes his toothy snout out from a crevice, and in the distance a wide manta stealths away, hoping to not be discovered. There is no sound except for the bubbles which stream in a hypnotic beat from your regulator.

You hit your inflator button (ssssssssshhhhhhhttttttt!) and dump a surprisingly large amount of air into your BC and suddenly the forces at work stop pulling on you. For a moment, you hover there, 20 feet above the sand, taking it all in. You check your guages - still 3100 psi left. In your mind you know that you've got 30 minutes or less here, and so you're going to make the best of it. You look to your buddy, who meets your gaze with wide eyes of excitement, and the two of you begin to glide effortlessly over the bow of the ship...

Now... Does that sound like fun to you? That's the 'Ross, y'all... Nobody's going to check your C-card to make sure that you're AOW or above... But it's not the "step off the dock into 20' of water" kind of dive. It's a little more involved than that. I would encourage everyone to go, but if you don't think you'd be comfortable in that situation, please understand that there will be lots of other dives and that you don't have to go...

...But if you think this is for you, then by all means... We need you. :)

Well it looks like something is shaping up, I'd love to go out all week(somewhere or another, even the 'off the dock into 20ft is better than nothing), but I think I may be the only one on vacation, so everyone else has to do that 'WORK' thing.

Are my AL80's sufficent, or should I think of renting something else? You really need a light at 70ft? I did some wrecks up in Kingston Ontario (mouth of the St lawrence at the east of lake Ontario) and they were 80ft or so and you didn't need a light unless you were looking in portholes or such.

And I agree with scSCUBA... you should be a writer.... very well written.

Deyv
(Pronounced Dave....kinda neat huh? to another dave...)

Deyv once bubbled...

Are my AL80's sufficent, or should I think of renting something else?

Nope. Unless you're diving dry, AL80's are the tank of choice. :)

You really need a light at 70ft? I did some wrecks up in Kingston Ontario (mouth of the St lawrence at the east of lake Ontario) and they were 80ft or so and you didn't need a light unless you were looking in portholes or such.

Yeah, when diving the offshore stuff, you can get away with no light... But everything's sooo much more colorful with the light... And there's lots of crevices that you're going to want to explore.

Inland, you need a light at 5 feet... If it'll do you any good at all. :)

And I agree with scSCUBA... you should be a writer.... very well written.

I'm flattered. Thanks. :) I've had a few things published... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom