Hiring a driver or taxi for the day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen Triggerfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friends and I are interested in going to San Gervasio and the other side of the island on our non-diving day in December. I usually rent a falling-apart vehicle from the appropriately named LessPay for this activity (a step up from when I'd rent a scooter). Because none of us wants the Designated Driver role, we're thinking about hiring someone to take us over there and bring us back.

I've found information about "Tours Plaza" ($157 for 5 hours) and "Cozumel Taxi Tours" on the This Is Cozumel site ($170 for 5 hours), but I'm just curious if anyone has any favorite drivers or companies for this? Do you think we'd be better off if we just negotiated with a taxi driver once we are there?

I don't think we're interested in joining a big public tour, unless anyone has specific recommendations (excuse my stereotypes but if we were part of a non-private tour we'd rather be with divers staying on the island than a bus packed with cruise shippers).

Thanks in advance for any insight/thoughts.

Another good choice would be 'Pantera'. During the turtle season he runs the turtle conservation on the east side but from now until March during the non-turtle nesting season he operates a taxi (one of the vans). If anyone on the island has detailed knowledge of the east side it would be him. If you need contact info email Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos dive@trespelicanos.com

My friends and I are interested in going to San Gervasio and the other side of the island on our non-diving day in December. I usually rent a falling-apart vehicle from the appropriately named LessPay for this activity (a step up from when I'd rent a scooter). Because none of us wants the Designated Driver role, we're thinking about hiring someone to take us over there and bring us back.

I've found information about "Tours Plaza" ($157 for 5 hours) and "Cozumel Taxi Tours" on the This Is Cozumel site ($170 for 5 hours), but I'm just curious if anyone has any favorite drivers or companies for this? Do you think we'd be better off if we just negotiated with a taxi driver once we are there?

I don't think we're interested in joining a big public tour, unless anyone has specific recommendations (excuse my stereotypes but if we were part of a non-private tour we'd rather be with divers staying on the island than a bus packed with cruise shippers).

Thanks in advance for any insight/thoughts.
It is very easy. As you are cabbing around on Cozumel and find a vehicle and driver you like, ask him about it. The drivers are all very familiar with what you will be asking about and will cut you a deal. The fewer people there are on the island at the time, and especially if you go on Sunday when there are no cruise ships, the better deal you can make. The driver will take you around and wait for you at all your stops; they know the staff everywhere you go and some places will feed them for free for bringing you there.

We have done this many times now and we have never had a driver rush us or act impatient no matter how long we have stayed anywhere. Like you, I had always been stuck with being the DD, which sucks. Never again.

The last time we did this, I think we paid $15 or $20 apiece for 10AM until sunset. Cheap. There were eight of us, so the driver did well, too. He was a really nice guy and kept up a constant travelogue about the history of the island. I will never be the DD again! Did I say that already? :D

Another good choice would be 'Pantera'. During the turtle season he runs the turtle conservation on the east side but from now until March during the non-turtle nesting season he operates a taxi (one of the vans). If anyone on the island has detailed knowledge of the east side it would be him. If you need contact info email Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos dive@trespelicanos.com

That would be easy since I've been communicating with Jeanie for dive reservations anyhow. And one of my friends is a Marine Bio teacher so would love to spend the day with a turtle conservationist. And most importantly, I would earn serious cred among heavy metal fans if I can say that I spent the day with Pantera. :wink:

If one of these suggestions fails, I think I'll hire ggunn as a designated driver. I'm getting the impression that he likes doing that ...

Back
Top Bottom